rebarrel?

It is a long action so the gates are open. It is also standard bolt head so you will have to have the bullet opened up to get into a magnum cartidge. Or you could simply to something like a 280 AI, and use the same bolt head.

I had a rem 700 in 3006 that I had rebarreled to 7mm rem mag. The bolt face had to be opened up and a sako style extractor was fitted.
The gunsmith gave me a new magazine box liner, don't know if it was needed, but there are no feeding problems.

Once the bolt face has been opened up you can go with anything with a magnum bolt head is possible. Going to one of the RUM may require magazine feed lips to be opened up and maybe a new magazine follower.

Some people have even gone to a 338 lapua magnum on a 700 action, although I heard that a chrome -moly action is preferred over a stainless steel as it is stronger.

If you don't want to open up the bolt face then the 280 AI is probably your best bet as already mentioned.

Stu.

I built a .30-06 AI off of a Remington 700 Action with a 26" Kreiger bbl Semi bull sporter countour.

I'm getting 3125 FPs with a 165g Sierra Gameking and 62grs of H4350. That's a few Fps faster than my friend is getting with his .300 H&H mag with a 26" Shilen and 69grs of IMR4350.

Definately magnum performance.. I also developed this load in July so there wouldn't be any suprises. No pressure problems at all, but I'd rate this as a max load.

I harvested a 4x4 Muley with this combo in 2007 at 489yds, it did great.

Dan

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.