Rebarrel Opions

Assuming it is a 7mm Rem. mag your stuck with a magnum case like a 6.5 Rem Mag, 264 Win Mag., or 26 Nosler unless you want to find another bolt that is a standard bolt face.

Assuming it is a 7mm Rem. mag your stuck with a magnum case like a 6.5 Rem Mag, 264 Win Mag., or 26 Nosler unless you want to find another bolt that is a standard bolt face.

Doesnt the 26 nosler use a bigger bolt face than the win mag belted cases?

Good to know... so technically, with a re-barrel, I could make my 7mag a 338 edge?

Yep... But why would you? Don't always buy into hype. Unless you're trying to kill moose beyond 1,000 yards, the 7mmRM will do everything you need with the proper bullet for the job.

Then you can get another bolt head and build a standard bolt face caliber as well. Anything from a 6.5x47, 260, 6.5x284, to a 6.5-06.

my vote is the 6.5mm-06. lots of good 30.06 brass around, not too much overbore, and gets the job done.

The 6.5 SAUM would be a great idea if you are thinking of 6.5mm. Sure it was originally a short action cartridge, but using a long action will allow you to seat bulletsout long and not worry about much.

I am leaning toward the 6.5 X 284, I think. I know I will have to change out the bolt face but I have read a lot of good things about that cartridge. I truly appreciate of the advice that everyone has give. If anyone has anymore advice I would definitely appreciate it. I always consider the advice of other that know more than me.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.