Rebarrel R700 or buy another Tikka

I'm kinda in the same predicament as you. I have a Custom KS Mountain rifle in 7mmRM with the McMilan stock and the feel of it to me is perfect. The recoil is heavy but very manageable in this particular rifle. I would like to rebarrel it in one of the beltless magnums but haven't found anything that really blows my skirt up. I vote to rebarrel the 700.

I have a 6.5 PRC I love it. But also have a 257 wby 10" twist ,because of its high velocity it beats the 6.5 PRC out to 500+ yds . I'd re-barrel it in that cartridge but with an 8" twist bbl and shoot 131gr Black Jack bullets .
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ this ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The barrel is what makes a rifle. The rest of the stuff stock, trigger etc is just so you dont screw it up. So no brainer. Put a brux or bartlien on there and rock on. I wouldnt get hung up on the remage thing. Pre chambered barrels arent all that.

I have been told it is a lot of work to get a prc to feed right out of a remington action, if you ever do. I built mine on a 7mm tikka zction and it works awesome.

700 is not hard to get to feed. The rails need opened up and the area around the feed ramp need to be opened up too. Just doing the rails is not enough. 700s feed just fine when done properly.
Shep

Here's a thought: use the 700 long action you have. Order a Switch Lug from West Texas Ordinance. Get your new barrel(s) for caliber(s) of choice. Change to whatever barrel/caliber you want to shoot when you want. Takes 5 mins to change. Use your same stock, trigger and scope for all. Rifle feels and shoots like an old glove. Less cost and very versatile. I have one set up for .308 case heads, next project this winter is to convert my mag bolt face rifle. Just got my parts in and finally got my new brass 2 days ago. Got 4 calibers on the .308, about to have 2 on the mag bolt face😋

I would suggest you consider the re barrel to your new favorite caliber, BUT this is perfect the time to have the Action/Bolt Face and the new Barrell all machined for a perfect "blue printed" fit. You can order you barrel already chambered, in the exact length and taper you want. Just my 2 cents!!!!

I've killed over 50 whitetails with the 257bee over the last 35 yrs. Only 2 took any steps after the shot. I've used 100gn, 110gn, 117 and 120s and all were just devastating. I still own 3 257bees but I'm focusing on the 6.5s now. I mean gee you only have so many yrs to try everything out.
Shep
So little time so many possibilities eh!?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.