Modify new tikka or buy different rifle?

NoCuntryForOldMen

I recently bought a Tikka T3x Lite in 6.5 CM to use for my new hunting rifle. I want to hunt suppressed and the more I have read about threading these barrels the less I want to go that route. I know there are ways to bush up to 5/8-24 and whatnot but I don't feel comfortable with that. Now I am stuck with a brand new rifle that I either need to get a new barrel and stock for or sell it and buy something already built with a 5/8-24 threaded barrel in a configuration I like and was hoping to get some advice from you guys with more experience on what direction you'd go.

If I customize my current rifle I'd probably get a Proof carbon barrel and some sort of nice stock, I haven't done my research there but possibly a Manners (open to suggestions). Would there be additional parts I should upgrade/change out at that time? I figure if it's going to the smith I might as well take care of any other low hanging fruit. I want to do it right but I'm not looking for a competition gun here, I assume a Tikka with a Proof barrel and Manners stock will shoot pretty darn good for a hunting rig.

If I decide to sell it and buy something else some of the Christensen Arms rifles and Fierce rifles seem like good options.

One benefit I see to customizing my Tikka is I can get an 18" barrel and so when I have my can on the overall length will be pretty darn manageable. I want to shoot out to 1k but all my hunting will be under 600 and most likely under 400 so the 18" barrel seems pretty sufficient. Also, what kind of gunsmith bill would I be looking at here? I don't really have a set budget for this and can make room where needed but I don't want to spend unnecessarily either. Paid $820 out the door for the rifle, if I go the custom route I'd like to keep all extra costs under $2000.

As a disclaimer, I'm not very experienced in the world or modifying bolt guns, I've built a number of AR variants and feel very comfortable with that platform but I don't know the first thing about what needs to be modified for a bolt gun.

Tikkas are great actions buy a prechambered and threaded Carbon six barrel for a Tikka. Pick up a stock for your outfit and there you go just a little smithing needed and your off to races. Easily done with your budget.

Tikkas are typically a great rifle. I think I would try to make it work with what you have first.

I have a T3 Varmint which is totally stock and shoots amazing. The stock that came with it isn't giving up anything in the accuracy department.

What suppressor are you using? That makes a difference in choosing your options. If going with a TBAC Ultra, you could use their CB series, have the factory Tikka barrel threaded 1/2x28 and then buy an Area 419 Hellfire brake/adapter for it and the Ultra will screw right on.

What suppressor are you using? That makes a difference in choosing your options. If going with a TBAC Ultra, you could use their CB series, have the factory Tikka barrel threaded 1/2x28 and then buy an Area 419 Hellfire brake/adapter for it and the Ultra will screw right on.

Note that with guidance directly from TB, they do not recommend any Ultra suppressor be used with 1/2x28 mount on anything greater than a 223. You're pretty much on your own if anything goes wrong with that setup. You can however send it to TB and they will re-machine your barrel:
"We will have to thread your barrel 9/16 x 24 and use a face mount brake that times off of the muzzle face rather then the shoulder. "

Have it threaded 1/2x28 buy a 5/8x24 adapter from silencerco and be done. I have noe this to many rifles
I did this to my Tikka 6.5 CM and it works perfectly with an Omega suppressor. My groups went from 0.7 MOA without suppressor to 0.4 MOA with it. I figure the weight on the end of the light barrel helps minimize whip. So I'm really happy with it! I say keep it and get it threaded. I had the same reservations initially as you do, but a good gunsmith recommended this route so I went with it.

I have a SilencerCo so I could use the 1/2x28 direct thread but I wasn't sure if I would necessarily have enough shoulder. I use the can on multiple other rifles that utilize the 5/8x24 mount so I'd have to swap it out, not a huge deal by any stretch.

I'm sure the smartest answer is to just get the 1/2x28 mount and go from there but before I found that I started going down the customized wormhole and I'm sure like many of you guys know, that starts to get addicting and inticing no matter how illogical it is.

I would do a 1/2x28 cap on the supressor direct to rifle threads and skip the adapter bit.

If you want to upgrade it and have the cash sure put a proof on it, why not.

Note that with guidance directly from TB, they do not recommend any Ultra suppressor be used with 1/2x28 mount on anything greater than a 223. You're pretty much on your own if anything goes wrong with that setup. You can however send it to TB and they will re-machine your barrel:
"We will have to thread your barrel 9/16 x 24 and use a face mount brake that times off of the muzzle face rather then the shoulder. "
That is my understanding also.

On your tikka, can you go a little shorter and have the right diameter to thread a 9/16 brake?

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.