Rebarrel R700 or buy another Tikka

55stone

Good morning guys, i have been debating selling or rebarreling my R700 chambered in 7RM. nothing fancy factory action, HS precision stock, trigger tech trigger. I live in the Midwest and really only hunt whitetails and coyotes with rifles and have other rifles to use and never really use the 7RM. I don't really enjoy just getting it out and target shooting with it as i would rather do that with other rifles due to component cost and recoil and so on. I was thinking about rebarreling it to a 6.5 PRC. i know it can be done on a short action but has mag length issues, so figure I saw enough people building them on true long actions that i could go that route. So really all i need would be a barrel as I would do a remage.
Now my other option that I'm considering is selling the R700 and just buying another tikka in whatever and building off it in the future. probably would just shoot it as is for awhile then rebarrel it later on to idk what.. I'm not stuck to any caliber at the moment. I don't even know what caliber I would buy the tikka in as idk what I would build in the future yet I'm not stuck on 6.5 PRC. It was just easy for my R700 to be converted to that since bolt face and action length are right. I don't really know what I'm asking just wanted some opinions I guess lol.
This would be the last R700 I have in the stable, feels weird to not have one.
Thanks guys

Good morning guys, i have been debating selling or rebarreling my R700 chambered in 7RM. nothing fancy factory action, HS precision stock, trigger tech trigger. I live in the Midwest and really only hunt whitetails and coyotes with rifles and have other rifles to use and never really use the 7RM. I don't really enjoy just getting it out and target shooting with it as i would rather do that with other rifles due to component cost and recoil and so on. I was thinking about rebarreling it to a 6.5 PRC. i know it can be done on a short action but has mag length issues, so figure I saw enough people building them on true long actions that i could go that route. So really all i need would be a barrel as I would do a remage.
Now my other option that I'm considering is selling the R700 and just buying another tikka in whatever and building off it in the future. probably would just shoot it as is for awhile then rebarrel it later on to idk what.. I'm not stuck to any caliber at the moment. I don't even know what caliber I would buy the tikka in as idk what I would build in the future yet I'm not stuck on 6.5 PRC. It was just easy for my R700 to be converted to that since bolt face and action length are right. I don't really know what I'm asking just wanted some opinions I guess lol.
This would be the last R700 I have in the stable, feels weird to not have one.
Thanks guys
I would personally re-barrel it you've already invested in the rifle ,stock and a great trigger all you need is a custom barrel for a semi custom rifle and many caliber's at your discretion a tikka is a great rifle but then all you have is your average every day over the counter tikka

Oh now you went and did it. 257bee is my all time favorite but I do think the 6.5s are more well rounded. That's why my new hunting rifle is a 6.5saum. But a fast twist 257bee with 131bj bullets would be awesome. The 6.5prc will do you good. So many choices.
Shep

I definatly did not think this would be as one sided towards rebarreling the 700 lol. always seems like so much hate for the factory 700 action.

I would just rebarrel the Remington. Like said you already ha e upgraded to a hs stock, trigger tech trigger next is just a great barrel.

This would be my choice as well. I own a few 6.5 caliber rifles but the 257 Wby is devastating on whitetail/antelope. I can't imagine how it would be with 128 Hammers or 131 Blackjacks.:oops:

I've killed over 50 whitetails with the 257bee over the last 35 yrs. Only 2 took any steps after the shot. I've used 100gn, 110gn, 117 and 120s and all were just devastating. I still own 3 257bees but I'm focusing on the 6.5s now. I mean gee you only have so many yrs to try everything out.
Shep

I would just rebarrel the Remington. Like said you already ha e upgraded to a hs stock, trigger tech trigger next is just a great barrel.
This !!!!! REM actions are OK. They work just maybe do not "feel as sexy" as some.

It would be nice to do both. I'm so impressed with Tikka's action and off the shelf accuracy but I know how much it lacks on the stock and a few other items that are moot to me. Having a rifle that you really like is hard to let go knowing you have the option of purchasing a barrel from a reputable gun smith that will shoot very well. Either decision is a good one. Good luck

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.