Rebarrel - Average Cost - Estimate Remington 700

Muddyboots

Ok, got asked this question and I do not have experience in this area to give good answer plus as a seller do not want to be the source.

I am selling a Remington barrel and was asked this question.

What is an average cost to mount a Remington barrel onto a Remington 700 long action. Add in action trueing etc

Looking to LRH brain trust to give some cost insight. I need to be 3rd party in this estimate.

I have an answer you don't want to hear, take-off barrels are not worth installing if you can not do the work yourself. It's a task for the hobbyist, where how long it takes doesn't matter. It may screw right on and headspace. Then again, it might not. A take-off can not be screwed on a trued action IF the thread has been 'trued'. Other 'truing' may only complicate matters. When I am approached to install a take-off, I strongly discourage the idea. If I am pressed by the customer I charge by my hourly rate, many times followed with a "I told you so".

The cost would be about $100 bucks if the action and barrel were stripped when they came in the shop, and the barrel fit and head spaced without any parts going in the lathe.

Now if the action has a barrel that needs to be removed, add in a skim cut to the receiver face and lap lugs plus barrel going in the lathe to adjust the shank and headspace, figure $250 minimum up to $350 if the barrel needs to be set back a couple threads to get the chamber to clean up..

You can not "blueprint the receiver" and use a factory barrel, at that point it needs a new barrel blank.

Exactly what I am looking for! Sounds like if you cannot do it yourself, the cost or even possibility maybe problematic.

Is thi

Around here, used to be, if somebody took a barrel off - it wasn't fit for anything but a fireplace poker or something. Now folks will change calibers at the drop of a hat.
And in the end, you have a rifle with a take-off factory barrel on it that's not gonna shoot like a custom.

the cost or even possibility maybe problematic.
Just the cost.
No problem with "possibility" (on an action with factory threads).
More so involved if the barrel has sights that need to be clocked...reworking the whole shebang...shoulder, breech, counterbore, chamber...

That said, there is market for new take-offs for hobbyists that can DIY and doesn't need match level accuracy.

Ok, got asked this question and I do not have experience in this area to give good answer plus as a seller do not want to be the source.

I am selling a Remington barrel and was asked this question.

What is an average cost to mount a Remington barrel onto a Remington 700 long action. Add in action trueing etc

Looking to LRH brain trust to give some cost insight. I need to be 3rd party in this estimate.
Kind of like buying a new Corvette and asking a mechanic to install a 1960 model 283 engine in it. Why?

Now if the action has a barrel that needs to be removed, add in a skim cut to the receiver face and lap lugs plus barrel going in the lathe to adjust the shank and headspace, figure $250 minimum up to $350 if the barrel needs to be set back a couple threads to get the chamber to clean up..
That appears right ($250-$350). I have just had a vintage sporterized 303 British that had a dinged chamber. Cost estimate to ream the clamber (involved removing barrel) was $225. Actual cost, after work was done, was $250.
Goal was not to make a tack driver but to preserve the piece.

Could be a lot of work. The stamping on the barrel need lined up which means removing either a small amount or a large amount (if requires almost a complete turn) from shoulder of the barrel. Which causes tenon length to be short, which requires another full turn to line up barrel ID writing. If chamber is shy of correct headspace them reamer is needed to ream the chamber to increase head space. A lot of juggling to install a not so good barrel

Recent Posts