Rebarrel - Average Cost - Estimate Remington 700

Had exactly that done last summer. Remington 700 BDL LA. It had been a 25:06 and I was moving to a 6.5x284. I was installing a Rock Creek barrel which was already threaded for a 700 action but it needed to be set back and I had the action trued, etc. Completed work was less than $150 by an outstanding smith. Hope this helps.

A very good barrel maker has a video of the bore of a new Remington and compares it to one of his hand lapped barrels. After watching I no longer wanted any new factory barrel.

The cost would be about $100 bucks if the action and barrel were stripped when they came in the shop, and the barrel fit and head spaced without any parts going in the lathe.

Now if the action has a barrel that needs to be removed, add in a skim cut to the receiver face and lap lugs plus barrel going in the lathe to adjust the shank and headspace, figure $250 minimum up to $350 if the barrel needs to be set back a couple threads to get the chamber to clean up..

You can not "blueprint the receiver" and use a factory barrel, at that point it needs a new barrel blank.
Would you take the work? I asked a a good gunsmith about moving a benchrest barrel from one custom action to another with same threads, but different tenon length....pretty basic machining. I was thinking $350ish. He flat refused the work saying take offs get broke in and that moving them is way too unpredictable...regarding accuracy.

FWI, I have swapped "take off" barrels into factory M700 receivers and to my astonishment,all of them head spaced within specs. On some of the barrels, the stampings were 180 degrees off. It is a simple to stamp the caliber in an appropriate place. On one rifle, I did for a friend, I faced off the receiver just to insure that is was square, lapped the bolt lugs to insure 100% contact with the receiver, and surface ground the recoil lug to insure it was square and installed the barrel. Again, it head spaced perfectly. It shot into less than 1 MOA. Every rifle, I've put take off barrels worked out well. I was able to build a 7mm STW( by rechamdering), a 7mm RM and .338 RUM on a budget. I bought the barrels from CDNN.

Every gunsmith is different. If it is a Remington threaded barrel going on a Remington action in which only the action needs to be trued the cost would most likely range from $100 to around $300 depending on the smith. As you add more work the cost only goes up. Most good smiths have a price list that you can look at to determine what you need and how much.

Would you take the work? I asked a a good gunsmith about moving a benchrest barrel from one custom action to another with same threads, but different tenon length....pretty basic machining. I was thinking $350ish. He flat refused the work saying take offs get broke in and that moving them is way too unpredictable...regarding accuracy.
yeah I can do that for you, just need to know if I have the reamer if the head space needs adjusting.

It's a different animal moving a known entity, high quality benchrest barrel to another action as compared to a factory takeoff.

Even an "new" factory takeoff is an unknown that at best will deliver "acceptable" accuracy for some- and quite likely much less than that.
I frequently get asked to do this with takeoffs on milsurps- and I won't touch them. Last thing I want is a customer blaming me for a barrel that won't shoot- through no fault of mine- after they've spent hundreds of dollars to have a takeoff fitted. Just isn't worth the risk when labor is a substantial part of the rebarreling cost, to risk a defective or low-quality barrel in the process.

If you already own the action I think around $900 to blueprint and barrel it. But that price might include some other things that would be done at the same time. Threaded barrel, .250 lug drilled and pinned, and the bolt modified for an M16 extractor.

If you already own the action I think around $900 to blueprint and barrel it. But that price might include some other things that would be done at the same time. Threaded barrel, .250 lug drilled and pinned, and the bolt modified for an M16 extractor.
Maybe ought to read through the thread or at least the first post. It's about installing a Remington take-off barrel.

The issue I see you having with an already chambered and finished barrel going on a another action is setting the headspace and indexing the writing on the barrel. If the past action had a different tenon depth then that will throw off the headspace. If the other action had the threads start and stop in a different place then that will throw off the writing on the barrel. This can be adjusted and fixed, but it's going to cost the gunsmith time and cost you money to just have a factory barrel in the end. I would go with a custom barrel like a Shilen that you can get for under $300 and have a good smith install it. You'll have around $550-650 in it when it's complete but it will be a shooter.

I talked to a barrel maker around Pittsburgh pa about a month ago. 22 in ss 222rem installed old one removed action face trued 480 + shipping. Most know how this is don't know if I'm aloud to say.

Ok, got asked this question and I do not have experience in this area to give good answer plus as a seller do not want to be the source.

I am selling a Remington barrel and was asked this question.

What is an average cost to mount a Remington barrel onto a Remington 700 long action. Add in action trueing etc

Looking to LRH brain trust to give some cost insight. I need to be 3rd party in this estimate.
In the past I have paid 200 to True a Remington action.
250 to chamber and thread a barrel.
And about 350 to purchase a stainless steel and up to 720 for a carbon fiber blank

I did read it and I read it in a different way. Sorry to inconvenience you and it anyone else.
I tend to stay from the original post myselfsometimes. I like to add comments even if they arent on the exact topic. Hey, that's what makes these forums enjoyable. It all ties in one way or the other.

Recent Posts