Chambering cost

Ok another question. Has anybody from Colorado or elsewhere heard of the gunsmith that works for Trigger Time in Longmont? triggertimegunclub.com

IMO - learned from the School-of-Hard-Knocks is that fitting the barrel to a properly prepared action is a CRITICAL step in any rifles accuracy potential. While it is possible to have a great (or lucky) gunsmith put together a real shooter with mediocre parts. It is also VERY possible for an unskilled (sloppy) gunsmith to RUIN the best components available.

I suggest that you pick a well known gunsmith in your area; see who is building Bench Rest of F-Class rifles locally or go with a national famous gunsmith. Having barrels setback and rechambered or taken off and thrown away is an expensive and frustrating process. I know and have the T-shirts...

Good luck

Jerry

All,

Does $200 sound about right for chambering a rifle barrel sound high?

Hicks

Depends what is included in the $200, but for just threading and chambering it's right in the ballpark.

My local gunsmith I sometimes use (garage/hobby guy like most all of them), only charged me $400 for a complete build; threading both ends, chambering, crowning, bedding, polishing, trigger job and test firing.

The average for a smith that will stand behind the work and works at a high level is $350 for fit, chamber, crown, marking and 320 finish.

That's too much.

Karl is $275
Kirby is $285
Nate is $275
Chris is $250
Pac-Nor is $300 and that even includes lapping and truing.
GAP is $290
Stiller was $200
Piercision is $250

Those are all full time gunsmiths too, not hobbyists. I don't know any smith's making a living building rifles that charge $350 for spinning a barrel on???

That's too much.

Karl is $275
Kirby is $285
Nate is $275
Chris is $250
Pac-Nor is $300 and that even includes lapping and truing.
GAP is $290
Stiller was $200
Piercision is $250

Those are all full time gunsmiths too, not hobbyists. I don't know any smith's making a living building rifles that charge $350 for spinning a barrel on???

GAP is $290 going onto a trued action so that makes a Rem swap $390 including truing up the action before installing barrel.

Two of the top of my head are Bugholes at $350 and Mark at Short action customs at $425, every smith locally that does a decent job is $300 plus, I know some very good smiths even at $400+ and they turn away work. Forgot Chad at $325, I'll think of more.

Last edited:
All depends on the market you live in. Gunsmiths with good reputations and proven records can charge more and they have people on waiting lists to do work. Your looking at $300- $400

Smaller markets where they are not as doing as much work or don't do gunsmithing as there sole source of income can charge less.

The smiths I use charge about $200-$250 for trueing, chambering and putting together. Neither are full time gun smiths but both have very proven records.

Key is to use someone who has proved to do quality work they will stand behind. Shop around you might find it is worth paying $300-$400 to use a reputable smith. But just because someone charges $200ish doesn't mean they aren't good but definitely do some research.