remington 700 .270 rebarreled to target rifle

mpstan

Pretty new to LRH, green as grass so please be gentle. Disclaimer: I'm definitely a statistic; didn't own a rifle pre-election. Now have two 270s, a 6.5x55 Tikka and a 6.5 Grendel AR. I reload for all of these rifles.

I regret buying two 270's; one never gets used by the son I bought it for. It is a 1970s vintage model 700; the trigger is nice; I'm wondering about using it to start a custom build. I want a paper punching varmit shooting rifle out to 300, maybe 500yds.

1. What calibers would make the most sense with this action.... do I need to stick to certain cartridges if I want to minimize messing with the bolt etc. Are there particular calibers that will work/feed better in this action? Ones I've considered:

204 Ruger, 22-250, 6mm PPC, 6mm BR, 6.5x47 lapua

2. Is it possible to use the rifle's old stock for this build?

3. If I go ahead with a rebarrel, bedding, what would you guess I would have to spend for the job............ is it possible to ut $600-$750 into a job like this and have a more accurate rifle than a factory model?

Thanks!

Last edited:
You mentioned "target rifle". Can you be more specific?

Figure it like this if you truly want something noteworthy. $400 bucks gets you a barrel blank. Another $250 gets it threaded, chambered, and crowned.

Tuned up Remington actions cost between $200 and $600 for the labor and depending upon what gets done.

Any quality synthetic stock starts around $400

A good trigger is between $150 and $200

The better "tailored builds" (I hate the word custom as it doesn't mean much anymore) run a guy around $3000.00 when it's all said and done.

Hope this helped.

Chad

On this page is a list of barrel mfgs. They have prices for a barrel, install, basic accuracy services, and complete truing and bedding of your stock
http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f76/barrel-action-trigger-manufacturers-related-info-28655/
If you directly to the barrel mfg. you have a course of action if your barrel/action doesn't perform as you feel it should. I've found this to be better for someone who does not have a good smith.
If you have a good smith for the work then tell him your parameters and go from there.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.