Reasonably Priced Good Stocks?? Is There Such A Thing??

I've heard about that Duramaxx stock but it's just not my style. To "factory" for me. If I'm forking out some cash it has to look custom not everyday "Monte Carlo" stock.

That one at Sharp Shooters does look sweet and the adjustable comb is only an extra $50. What a deal!

Well, thanks for all the replies, I've narrowed it down to the Stockade or Sharp Shooters offerings.

I do like the idea of getting the rough fnished one from Stockade and being able to do some finish work on my own.

Thanks again

I'll also vote for the Stockade. I love mine. I got the money saver and finished and painted it myself.

S8000416.jpg

Would you believe rattle can?

Plastikote Fleck Stone. The color is called Harbor Fog. It give a nice texture but scratches easy and absorbs moisture.

Then I put on several coats of water based satin polyurethane with one of those little trim rollers.

Both are about $5 each at my local Walmart.

Now it is hard as nails, looks, and feels good.

geargrinder:

I really like how you finished your stock. How durable do you think it is compared to his finished stocks? Also, was it very difficult getting it ready to paint? Looks like you did a pretty sweet job.

geargrinder:

I really like how you finished your stock. How durable do you think it is compared to his finished stocks? Also, was it very difficult getting it ready to paint? Looks like you did a pretty sweet job.

Thanks, I'm very happy with how it turned out. In fact, I have a HS Precision Sendero stock that I've converted to left hand. I'm going to finish it the same way.

In comparison, I couldn't say. I've not handled one of Kevin's painted stocks.

But, I'd say that the finish on mine is quite durable. The Plastikote stuff sticks quite well to the gel coat of the stock. It also absorbs the poly real well.

The only problem I had was that I did it all last winter. It took forever for the paint and poly to cure. Once it did, it is very hard.

I also like the texture better than the web finishes.

When you buy the "money saver" model from Kevin,there is very little prep work to do.About 5 minutes of light sanding,and maybe a little filler on the seam.I would say I spent maybe 1/2hour of prep work,prior to painting.That's a good deal considering how much you save.

When you buy the "money saver" model from Kevin,there is very little prep work to do.About 5 minutes of light sanding,and maybe a little filler on the seam.I would say I spent maybe 1/2hour of prep work,prior to painting.That's a good deal considering how much you save.

I agree, but mine took a little longer. The edge of the barrel channel was a little wobbly. Maybe an extra 1/2 hour with some filler and sanding.

Definitely the way to go.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts