Reasonable Long Range Hunting Distances(edited)

One has to practice long range shooting in the field using the same equipment and aids we will have when hunting to know what you can do in hunting conditions. My favorite is hunting long range marmots followed by long range rocks and similar targets. I shoot at small stuff, the size of the vitals I need to hit. Hitting a 2-foot anything can only tell me how far off I was from the kill zone.

Reasonable hunting distances is a each to their own thing,,, hunter Y is capable of X distance,,, hunters Q and B only take critters at H or F distance,,, ect......

I'm all about up close and personal in my hunting category,,, I'm allowed this option since I'm in a area that allows for this to happen...

Different story when I venture on to the flat prairie lands...

Yuppers,,, find what works and get at it,,, that's what really counts...

I always try to get as close as I can as I thought that was what hunting was but it's an each to their own kind of thing . When you do predator control there are times you have to make long shots to get the predator that is killing livestock so you need to know what you can do and get the killing stopped as fast as you can . You need to know your equipment and what it will do at extended ranges you need to know what you can do and how to do it . It's not an over night thing it takes time and work to be good at it.

There was the movie "American sniper" and others before. These shots can be done and are done, hunting too. About one in a thousand people have the talent to execute these shots, but only a part of them invests time and cartridges to get there. But here almost everyone does it, to read the comments, that's why I'm here: I'm trying to learn. Very good comments all.

The seal , marine and army snipers go to school to learn how to conceal themselves and get to the best shooting locations as well as learn how to shoot, make the calculations to adjust for windage , distance, trajectory angles ect. a lot more of them fail out then graduate the course . The equipment they use is the best our tax dollars will buy ,rifles, bullets , scopes, range finders ect. their lives depend on them being the best their targets shoot back . It takes a special kind of person to learn all that is taught in these courses and be able to put it to use . I for one no longer have the desire to crawl around in the heat , cold , dirt , live on little food and water or go into the jungle or desert to do that kind of work but I'm sure glad we have those that are to protect the sheep from the wolves and keep the war on terrorism at bay .

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.