Reamer Questions

Elkhunter1983

I am looking to do a re barrel job on my wifes 25-06 into a 6.5X284 for a hunting rifle that is a little more efficient. I have a barrel on back order and am looking at reamers. The only problem I see is that there are two different reamers. 6.5X284 Norma Match and the 6.5X284 Winchester. Which one to I do? Is there a big difference between one and the other? I want to shoot Lapua brass and it doesn't have a name after the caliber. Any insight would be very much appreciated.

I run the JGS 6.5x284 Win version exclusively with Lapua Brass and have no issues. I use the Redding 6.5x284 Norma dies. The neck size is identical. The only difference in the two versions is the throat length. This is what Norma states in their 6.5x284 ammo data. The Norma is supposed to be longer for Long action and the Win was for short actions. I was advised at the time I bought the reamer by PT&G and JGS the Win was the way to go. It works with 95 to 140 grain bullets very well. My 140 Bergers still seat as long as I would want to run them anyway. I run it in a 700 long action that started life as a 270. It feeds perfect. I have never tried any other brass than the Lapua brass.

As long as you are buying your reamer you can customize it to suit your needs. Do you want a no turn neck? How about bullet release clearance of neck? throat length and even throat angle can be what is best for your rifle and needs. I have had several rewarding conversations with Dave Kiff of Pacific Tool and Gauge helping me figure out those details.

This link will be a good start on seeing what others are using.

6.5-284 Cartridge Guide within AccurateShooter.com

I believe the WIN reamer is smaller at the .200 line. If it is you will get bolt click and hard extraction on Near max loads. You need to check the Dimensions at the .200 line. Matt

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.