Reading Pressure

Weaver93

I just watched this UR video (I know Gavin can be a bit nerdy) with Bruce from Bat. They were driving heavies in a .308 to crazy pressures. I found it interesting how deceiving the pressure indicators we look for can be!

I am no math nerd by any means, but if it turned out that the pressure they estimated is not just the same percentage less that the velocity differences they saw, they very well may have been somewhat higher yet. I know Bat makes a really good action, but dang!

Certainly agree. Why would they even attempt such a thing with a CCI-400. You know what they say about youtube.
I have a feeling they overbuilt that gun for the video. They somewhat elude to that in the video.

I'm not sure what the point of the vid is…Is it a marketing vid? Actions, brass, barrels? We use this….

I'm not sure what the point of the vid is…Is it a marketing vid? Actions, brass, barrels? We use this….
Agree. Can you imagine the look you would get if you could sit down with someone like Ken Waters or Jack O'Conner and tell them you just shot a round that was 103 kpsi and didn't notice any pressure. The sad part of all this is some nut is going to try this and hurt himself or worst yet someone else.

Last edited:
20,000psi above max is mostly what a proof load runs at, and guess what? Cases come out just like the above video.
There was a thread a while back about a case failure, primer pocket measuring and other BS. A load just doesn't increase with a slight powder increase to dangerous levels…

Cheers.

In listening to a Hornady podcast, I think it was Jayden Quinlan that stated that velocity was as good of a pressure indicator as any regular folks have available. Given that you have a expected range of speed for a given cartridge, bullet and barrel length - if you're seeing more speed, there most likely is more pressure.