Re- barreling a 28 nosler ?

7prc, 7wsm, 7saum, 7 rem mag, 7 weatherby, 7mm practical (7-300 Winnie) 284 Winchester, 280 rem, 280 ai, 7mm Lrm (essentially a .300 prc necked down) are all less barrel burny than the 28 nos.

Don't know about the 284 or 280 for long long range elk, but they'll reach out there for sure.

Last edited:
I realize I was kinda missing something earlier…I read "rebarrrel" as "set back and rechamber" and hence my staying with 7mm cartridges.

If it's a whole new barrel on an 06 length action with a standard magnum bolt face well then I'm all in on the 30 cals of those dimensions! .300 win mag, 300 prc, 30 Nosler. No question.

For myself I'd go 300 win mag.

The photo is dial-up on second rotation of a 10 MOA per turn turret. Zero'd at 100, dialed up to 1000. 28 Nosler - FWIW, that is hard to compete with in a factory chambering.

Attachments

• IMG_6311.jpeg
    IMG_6311.jpeg
    145.4 KB · Views: 41
Hemmed and hawed about this one a bit, on this web site since 05'. While there are degrees of barrel burners, there is definitely a link between 1000 yard elk = barrel burners. Kinda hard to full separate those two parameters.

I'd probably consider rebarreling my current hotrod 7 prc, it's gonna have hornady backing so someone is gonna keep if moving enough for long term adoption. It's a very reasonable compromise semi magnum.

I lenhgthed the throat on a 7RM to shoot the 190s set up the way the factory PRC did it. Not nearly as fast, but in elk country it was good to 1000 yards according to the programs.

Easy barrel life
Always components