Rangefinders with Ballistic Apps

That's what I do and the short comings I find are time and taking your eye off the intended target. In the heat of the moment KISS is best in my book. So if a bino that rangefinds and gives your your dope all in one step would be best. Right now I glass with binos, then range with my Leica handheld, then either look on an app or my dope cards. Apps are more accurate because you can plug in the weather conditions. All that is way slower than a rangefinding bino. Nothing wrong with the old way. But it's cost me many
Great point. I wish one of the top glass companies(Leica,Ziess, Swaro) would make a pair of 15's with a ballistic calculator. Has to be a big market for them. So many Western hunters depend on there 15's. It would be so nice to be able to glass up a coues deer and just hit a button, and not have to move anything.

That's what I do and the short comings I find are time and taking your eye off the intended target. In the heat of the moment KISS is best in my book. So if a bino that rangefinds and gives your your dope all in one step would be best. Right now I glass with binos, then range with my Leica handheld, then either look on an app or my dope cards. Apps are more accurate because you can plug in the weather conditions. All that is way slower than a rangefinding bino. Nothing wrong with the old way. But it's cost me many opportunities.
That's why I shoot mrad...range with the scope..shoot the number...one piece of equipment instead of three.! Of course that's because I'm no longer a spot and stalk hunter. I setup in area I know the game comes to and instead of all the extra equipment I'll scan my field of fire with my scope....it's easier for me, and I don't loose time or sight of my target switching between equipment......as stated just me! Although if I could afford range finding Binos..........

That's why I shoot mrad...range with the scope..shoot the number...one piece of equipment instead of three.! Of course that's because I'm no longer a spot and stalk hunter. I setup in area I know the game comes to and instead of all the extra equipment I'll scan my field of fire with my scope....it's easier for me, and I don't loose time or sight of my target switching between equipment......as stated just me! Although if I could afford range finding Binos..........
Yes I do that if stationary, range the markers in a given area. I also do the math with my scopes. But again that takes time and you have to take your eye off the game. I suffer the compromises due to cost. Nothing is going to be faster than a high quality bino. Or more accurate. If I had the means I'd get the bino/ rangefinder.

Great point. I wish one of the top glass companies(Leica,Ziess, Swaro) would make a pair of 15's with a ballistic calculator. Has to be a big market for them. So many Western hunters depend on there 15's. It would be so nice to be able to glass up a coues deer and just hit a button, and not have to move anything.
It would be nice. I'd prefer 12x but i don't see any offering it just yet. Just 8x and 10x. Maybe I'll get lucky and in the future they will start with a 12x then maybe a 15😬

Doesn't ranging with the reticle require you to know a known measurement? I never got into MRAD so sorry if that's a dumb question😬😂
Still requires a lot of math after you get a range for dope does it not??

I sure do like my victory rf binos, just click range and bam tells me how many minutes I need to go on my leupold 😬

Yes I do that if stationary, range the markers in a given area. I also do the math with my scopes. But again that takes time and you have to take your eye off the game. I suffer the compromises due to cost. Nothing is going to be faster than a high quality bino. Or more accurate. If I had the means I'd get the bino/ rangefinder.
Yup!

I prefer Applied Ballistics for my solver based on their extensive bullet library and custom drag models. I also prefer the Kestrel with AB and Bluetooth for environmental data, their specialty.
I currently have the Leica 3500.com rangefinder that Bluetooth's to the Kestrel. I have mounted the Leica and Kestrel on a QD pic-rail mount that fits to the side of my S&B 5-45. This makes for a very fast acquisition combination that when the Leica and Kestrel are paired with Bluetooth work extremely well. The range, azimuth and inclination angle are fed to the Kestrel, the Kestrel calculates and returns the AB firing solution to the Leica's display, and displays it on it's screen too. All within 1-1/2 seconds. This can be mounted on a tripod too, but I really like it on the gun, it is quick and stable.
20210606_162852.jpg

I use Leica Geovid Pro. Has AB Basic built it for out to 850m (this is due to legal reasons in Europe and you will find this to be the "baseline limit" on Euro brands) but you can upgrade the software license to the version that goes out to 2500m if you need to for an additional $150.

A few things that I will say about the Leica is that the app is straight forward and simple to understand without needing to go deeply into a bunch of menus. It pairs easily, quickly, and reconnects flawlessly in my experience after waking up from sleep mode. It pairs nicely with BaseMap Pro app and Kestrels which gives access to their live tracks mode that places waypoints in Google Maps/BaseMap for easier tracking of animal recovery. I believe you can range 3 or 5 range points that save to the app automatically (so say where the animal was shot, last place seen, and another landmark for reference). They are a bit pricy if you can't get a discount (several vendors offer veteran discounts) but even with a discount they were slightly more than your $1500 budget.

Even still with the simplified app integration, the accuracy and speed of the laser (which a lot of companies market a lot of BS when it comes to how far they can actually range an animal), and taking the experience of the company in doing lasers/commercial geospatial systems it's a company of trust to get these things right.

Obviously if budget is THE biggest concern and you can't swing it then I understand. It's something to consider for those that may be a bit more technically challenged and may have apprehension with using an app. At a minimum I'd suggest downloading the apps for all the companies that you're considering and have a look around if possibly before purchasing. This is likely going to be a part of the equation… even with rangefinder that don't require as much fiddling with the app. You'll probably need to use it to sync your optics, input your profiles/data, and register your optics initially at a minimum.

Just my advice from a person that chose Leica last summer over the Swaro based on usability. Glass was more or less equal but the Geovid Pro was a noticeable step up in optical quality for me compared to the old Geovid. Most rangefinding binoculars are usually a step behind most pure binos. The Swaro and the Geovid Pro are the only ones that I've liked through that I didn't feel was the case as it applies to having "alpha glass" quality if that matters to you.

I used to use a G7 BR2, still have it as my backup. I use a G7 BR4 now. Pretty easy to set up. Holds 10 rifles. All through Bluetooth on an app in your phone.

Extremely fast, accurate, fast/easy to toggle between rifles, small, lightweight.

Eats batteries though.