Rangefinders with Ballistic Apps

I picked up the BR4 this year. I've been blown away so far. My prior sig fell on it face in super cold especially when it was sunny. The BR4 gave me a return on an elk at 2948 hunting this year at 15 degrees. That's impressive. With the BaseMap app you can create a waypoint at that location. Pretty cool. Ballistic data has been spot on. I thought I wanted binos, but to be honest I prefer having the mono when laying prone, plus I have my phone skope hooked up to my binos when I shoot because I'm typically solo. Just to be able to confirm shot placement. You can get 10% of on GOHUNT with promo code RANDY.

I finally quite wearing them into field due to weight. I use old standard Vortex rangefinder. With dope written on side of stock.
My brother loves his Geovids. He's been upgrading his models over the past decade. A bit out of my price range which is one reason why I considered the Bushnell Nitro 1800, or any other stand alone unit which will give me my dope. Glassing with my current decent quality binos and then ranging with a rangefinder that will give me my dope would cut down the lag time of looking up my dope.
About how heavy?
32.4oz. Of course if you had one then the other set of binos would be left at camp.

About how heavy?
image.jpg

Also the Vortx fury's do wind , you simply press the button on either side, (The direction of wind is coming from)1 mile an hour for each click, and it will give you a full value wind hold.
That is one neat thing they do over the big three that don't do wind.
They also have a fancier method that's more in depth called wind bearing capture mode, it actually uses an internal compass so you can tell the binos what direction the wind is coming from in relation to your shot direction so it can do partial value wind if you wanted. But it's definitely a little more in depth than the full value wind buttons that are pretty dang fast if you have a cheap wind meter to tell you wind or guess😬😂

You wouldn't have to carry binos, rangefinder, and maybe even a Kestrel.
That's how I do it.
Just a pair of binos in a chest harness but I do carry a cheaper pocket wind meter just so I have a pretty accurate wind weed at shooting location, it can vary down range which you have to read but at least I can get a pretty accurate at my location.

Tyler25246 not a glass snob at all.I had a friend I hunted with in the south that was an eye doctor and much older than me and said as we age our eyes see differently than younger years.His expensive Zeiss scopes looked no better than my Leupold scopes and he told me to expect it and I see that now.Not a glass snob at all.There are anomalies but thats the average persons lot in life.

Zen Archery thanks for that input as I have had multiple back surgeries and can't take much weight.
This information is helping me a bunch as well as others in my shoes!Thanks a bunch.
Makes sense, I'm still a young buck at the old age of 28. But I have eye issues. I do notice a difference between my zeiss and the wife's vortex but it's not a crazy difference. I notice it more the first few minutes or last few minutes of light.

I use Leica glass and years ago went away from Bino with built in rangefinder. Rangefinders evolve and improve faster than glass. I use the SIG 2400AB on the side and have never had an issue with it, but upgrading to the 8k this summer. Not as fast as glass and click, but I can upgrade the laser when i see it fit. Repair on electronics in all but Vortex bino/rf is and expensive endeavor. Leica charged me 4750 for a RF repair in their binos, and I received a repaired 5 year old rangefinder inside my awesome glass. They will not upgrade the RF to the newest tech, and thus I sold them and went with Leica glass and Sig RF.
I love and own Vortex products, but at a price you can get better glass, but not a better warranty.
SnT

I've been using glass to read wind down range for around thirty years. I learned from a pistol student of mine that was a Marine Sniper, but mostly self taught. Which is one of the reasons why I'd like to take James' classes.

The 3 I have found are
Gunwerks BR4 Ballistoc Rangefinder-4000 yards No price yet seen
Vortex Fury HD 5000 AB 1499.00 5000 yards
Sig KIL05K 7x25 mm Ballistic Rangefinder 694.00 5000 yards
Anymore?
Which is more user friendly?
I use the Kilo 5k and have had great results. User friendly and just plain works. Got mine for $599 at EuroOptic on a Demo sale, was brand new and never a demo, now they are $499. I like how it works so well I'm considering their RF Binos that have the same software.

RF:

Binos:

Last edited:
I am electronically challenged and have resisted this for some time but as I continue to get older it's obvious that I need to start learning things.
Even with a rangefinder with ballistic solutions will it be easier?Do I still need to use an app on my phone?
I have looked at the Kestrel but thought it was mostly for weather but hearing it has a ballistic solution part also.
Thanks in advance for any help
Just me Rooster...but what's wrong with a rangefinder and a dope card on your stock? I know what they say about Old dogs and new tricks.....but is it the same for Old 🐓 's? Stick with a dope card!!!😎

Just me Rooster...but what's wrong with a rangefinder and a dope card on your stock? I know what they say about Old dogs and new tricks.....but is it the same for Old 🐓 's? Stick with a dope card!!!😎
That's what I do and the short comings I find are time and taking your eye off the intended target. In the heat of the moment KISS is best in my book. So if a bino that rangefinds and gives your your dope all in one step would be best. Right now I glass with binos, then range with my Leica handheld, then either look on an app or my dope cards. Apps are more accurate because you can plug in the weather conditions. All that is way slower than a rangefinding bino. Nothing wrong with the old way. But it's cost me many opportunities.