Rangefinder review

Big Sky

SPONSOR
Recently I spent a lot of time testing different laser rangfinders in order to try and make an educated purchase. I tested the Bushnell 1500ARC, Swaroski Laser Guide, Leica Geovid 10x42 and Leica 1200 CRF.

The Bushnell was still a Bushnell no matter how hard I tried to make it something better. Big, bulky, relatively quick readings, but the glass is still Bushnell and not anything like the Leica or the Swarovski.

The Swarovski came highly recommended. Several regulars at this site use it and like it. I tried it and liked it the least of all the range finders. It's heavy, the read out is all but impossible to read in bright day light, and it's slower than the Leica or the Bushnell with it's readings. Plus the target dot is friggen huge and not very compatible to small targets at long range.

The Leica Geovid was lighter than I expected. The glass is very good, but it's not as bright at dawn and dusk as their Ultravids. I imgaine that will eventually be improved, but until then I'll hold out. It would really tick me off to spend that kind of money and have them come out with the "new and improved" version in the next year or two. They are so close on this one it's not funny. If they get the optics just as clear and bright as their Ultravid, move the rangefinder button to the right side, and make sure the binocular can be mounted on a tripod it will be the cat's meow of range finders.

The Leica 1200 CRF was light, small enough to fit in a shirt pocket. It is lightening quick with it's yardage read outs. The read out is easy to read and the target dot is small enough to be useful on smaller targets like prairie dogs and such. The only real problem is holding it still. It's so light that one needs to brace one's arms on something when taking long range readings. I ended up buying the 1200 CRF and I'm very happy with it. So far the longest reading I have gotten was just over 1300 yards. Readings from 700 yards and under come up very fast. Over 700 yards I sometimes had to hit the button a time or two, but it's still pretty darn consistant and fast. Now if they would just come up with an angle compensation feature like the Leupold and Bushnell and a way to mount it on a tripod it would be darn near perfect.

Redbone, it t'weren't a job. It was the result of my search for a new rangefinder. As far as testing went it's great to have a lot of generous friends that are connected. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I am very happy with my final purchase. I expect the next time around I'll get the Geovids if they make a few improvements. Well that is, unless Swarovski comes up with a great bino/rangefinder combo. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Guys, Has anyone tested a Newcon LRB 4000 CI. They show it at 4000 meters on reflective targets. and about 2000 on soft (animals). We have been using the Lieca Rf1200 for about 6 yrs with pretty good results. If you are looking across a canyon it works well to about 1000 yds, sometimes farther. We find across flat ground that you can get a false reading from any rolling hills or ridges. We have tested the Bushell 800 yard, the Newcon 1500 yd and several optic models usintg the WILD unit as a standard, as we have proved it on many know distance ranges to about 5000 meters with +- 6 yds or so. Well in a comparason we have tested the several other units that have a computer interface, and had not found any that read farther than the RF1200. If any one has any input on the Newcon 4000 CI I would REALLY be thankful for your input.
Thanks,

Hello Big Sky from the western half of MT!

I have the standard Bushnell Elite 1500 (non-ARC). I can get relatively easy handheld readings to 1000 yards on bedded elk in hunting conditions. If I thread it on a tripod mount I can get some longer readings on soft targets, although not as quickly. The glass is not as good as the Leica I have seen, but definitely good enough to know what I am targeting. I evaluate trophies through the binos and spotter, then use the Elite to range the target I have already determined worthy. Did you find the resolution of the Bushnell to be hindering your ability to determine targets? I haven't done much varmint hunting, and haven't evaluated the Elite's performance in that arena. Is the additional resolution of the Leica useful in those situations? I am interested in expanding my shooting to include varmints and would consider the upgrade if it was worth it. Thanks and Good Shooting.

I have a Leica 800 I bought over 6 years ago. I love it. Great optics and never had a problem ranging. Never had a reason to upgrade to the 1200, but I was thinking about a pair of geovids. Glad I didn't buy them after hearing what you said. I thought the ultravids were binos and not a rangefinder.

Troy,
Good stuff, but - you need to experience a Vector. The Swaro and Geovid would not come out of their cases...

[ QUOTE ]
Troy,
Good stuff, but - you need to experience a Vector. The Swaro and Geovid would not come out of their cases...

[/ QUOTE ]

And you need to experence a AN/GVS-5.

It'll make the others look like cat toys /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif.

And Ian... did you find out if your Sendero has the new trigger or the old one??

Catshooter where do you get one?(AN/GVS-5)Whats a feller gunna have to pay for one of this units? More questions. How far does it range? Thanks

Big sky: Sorry but I think your crazy. The swaro is unbeleiveable. Who would complain about getting a 3 second delay when the thing ranges to 2000 yards. The reason there is a delay is so it can charge the laser which is twice as powerful than the other lrf's you mentioned. What about glass? did the bushnell have glass as good as the swaro? Not trying to be argumentive just giving my .02.

[ QUOTE ]
Big sky: Sorry but I think your crazy. The swaro is unbeleiveable. Who would complain about getting a 3 second delay when the thing ranges to 2000 yards. The reason there is a delay is so it can charge the laser which is twice as powerful than the other lrf's you mentioned. What about glass? did the bushnell have glass as good as the swaro? Not trying to be argumentive just giving my .02.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree the Swarovski out performe the Bushnell,Leica, ETC. The read is esay to read under all conditions with proper eye allignment, that is the key. I have played with (owned) then Bushnell 1500, Lieca 1200 and they will not give ranges as far, or as reliabley as the Swarovski in less than ideal conditions. The Swaro will give readings when the other 2 will not...

[ QUOTE ]
Catshooter where do you get one?(AN/GVS-5).

[/ QUOTE ]

I got it through my business.

[ QUOTE ]
Whats a feller gunna have to pay for one of this units?

[/ QUOTE ]

About $12,000 with the charging unit.

[ QUOTE ]
More questions. How far does it range? Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

10,000 meters under the worst conditions.

I have ranged a mountain at 4,000 meters, when visibility was 100 yds because of fog.

It's one of my best toys.

Catshooter,
Keep forgetting to look at that rascally Remington, will do that shortly. Sure interested in the performance of your laser, sounds like the ultimate machine. We just did a hunt in Texas with two Vectors and they did a fantastic job on very far nilgai. Optics are so crisp and distance was not a factor, we got instant readings out to 1400+ in sunlight off critters.

I like the Bushnell and Leica about equally as far as my field use has been, but the Swaro will outdo both of them and has better optics. Have never done 2000 with my Swaro, lots of days it will not do 600 but that is how she goes. I usually hit vegetation or rocks way out there to draw my field sketchs or to memorize what I call fans (distances in 100 yd increments).

Ian: If yours won't do 600 on any day sunny, rainy, cloudy then it's broke. That thing should range to at least a 1000 in any conditions as mine does and so does a few buddies.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.