Mueller Scope Review

Mr Ranger

In the market for new scope to install on my new 243WSSM. Saw all the reviews on Mueller scopes, not to mention they are located 45 miles away. Ordered the 4-16x50 with high expectations. While waiting for it to arrive I stopped by Jay's sporting goods in Gaylord. Fellow behind the gun counter apologized for not having what I was looking for and indicated they had a lot of new products coming in because the buyers had just got back from the industry trade show. He next said they ordered a bunch of Mueller scopes. The funny thing, we hadn't even talked about scopes much less Mueller. I walked out of the store convinced I had made the right decision.

Scope arrived and I first mounted it on my 30/06 to see if it would hold zero. Before firing gun I decided to compare it against a Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14x40. To my dismay the Nikon was much brighter. I next compared it to a Simmons Aetec 2.8-10x44. The Simmons too was brighter. After comparing closely I note that the Mueller seems as though you are looking through a narrow tube. The FOV is nowhere near advertised. Both the Simmons and Nikon have much better FOV. I can say this on the positive side: I love the reticle and the lighted red dot. When it is pitch black out the light works perfect and is not overpowering at all. However the light is not bright enough for an average day time use. I purchased this scope to use for Coyotes, mid range shooting, low light conditions. Unfortunately the Mueller just doesn't cut it. I guess you get what you pay for. I now have a Zeiss Conquest 3-9x50 on order. Too, I decided not to waste the money seeing if it would hold zero.

Mr Ranger

Just compared the Mueller FOV against a BSA Deerhunter 3-9x40. Set both scopes at 9 power. Checked against my bait pile at 190 yards. The BSA had about 3' more view. The BSA has a advertised FOV at 9 power of 6'.3" at 100y. The Mueller FOV is simply pathetic. I can say that at least the Mueller was brighter, tunnel vision and all.

Mr Ranger

First off welcome to LRH. Appreciate the info on the mueller purchase. A lot of guys would stretch the truth to justify their decision but it doesn't happen here as much as other places. This place is one of the best.

I was doing a search for a dealer on the best prices for the new Mueller Tactical and for some reason this post popped up in the search engine.

I have to say Mr. Ranger that I currently own 3 Mueller scopes now (will be buying the tactical shortly) and find your post quite misleading. Simmons, scopes have some the widest FOV scopes on the market but that doesnt make them better than a Lupy which has less, does it?
You stated the Mueller isnt as bright as the Nikon Buckmaster which are priced about the same but your not realizing that your getting the extra illuminated feature which is a huge benifit for low light shooting and something the Nikon doesnt have so I think in comparison that would equal the them out.
You also stated the illuminated feature doesnt show up during bright daylight, its not suppose too, it was designed for low light conditions (as stated on their website)when a standard black reticle begins to blend into the background.

Next you say the Mueller was brighter than the BSA yet you say the Mueller is Pathetic becasue of the FOV, maybe its the BSA that is pathetic because it uses poor lenses and isnt nearly as clear or bright.

It appears your entire opinion of the Mueller scope is based soley on the FOV. Did you "actually" measure the FOV on the Mueller? Maybe the BSA is actually wider than advertised and the Mueller is as advertisied? I found this to be the case on a few Simmons scopes I have for my air guns, they are wider than advertised.

P-Dog

P-Dog

Clearly I did not elaborate on every possible scenario. Yet I did briefly speak of the features that I did not like and some that I did. Nor did I write of every comparison that I made with a variety of scopes. Certainly everyone is entitled to his or her opinion based on individual preferences, and I am glad you are happy with your purchases and hope they continue to meet your needs. When one examines any product, features, benefits, individual preferences and compromises come into play in deciding overall satisfaction. Unfortunately, the above mentioned scope did not meet my expectations or needs.

I realize that for some a wide FOV may not be very important. For others it may be the deciding factor. The fact that I chose a 50mm lens generally means FOV is an important consideration. I did compare the scope's FOV to a number of the scopes I own, yet I only mentioned the Simmons since it offered the narrowest view. And any discriminating reader could determine if that info would be important in their choice.

The brightness and the reticle are two completely separate considerations. Again, someone who was interested in purchasing a 50mm scope, brightness very well could be the prime consideration of importance. Stating that I observed the brightness to be between the Nikon and the BSA gives the reader a clue as to the performance in an area that some may be concerned.

Fact is I bragged on the reticle. I very much liked the thick sight lines, they show up much better than thinner ones in low light shooting. I did mention the red dot was a nice feature. I wish others scopes had it. To get this feature on a Ziess or many other scopes one might pay more than the entire cost for the Mueller scope. For me the fact that the red dot is not visible in day time viewing is unimportant. For others it may be, so I mentioned it as a point of reference.

We have no disagreement on the BSA, friend. In addition to the BSA I compared the FOV against a Nikon Buckmaster, a Simmons Atec, A Simmons 8 point, and a Bushnell Sportview. I used the BSA as a reference since most would be able to determine the relevance. Did I "actually" measure. NO, it wasn't necessary to get out the tape measure, simply looking through each scope was enough, the difference was readily apparent.

With all said, I do intend on examining some of the other Mueller models in hopes that perhaps it was just this one model that had faults. I very much like the red dot and the overall construction seemed good. Besides, they are a local company and I hope they do well. I had some correspondence with Mueller and believe they have a solid business plan and could meet the needs of an important segment of the market.

If after reading my personal observations you have a particular model that you own and think I should take a close look at, I would welcome your suggestion, in fact I would appreciate it.

Mr Ranger

Mr Ranger, I just bought the mueller 8.5x25 for my custom 25 06 and for the money you can't go wrong /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
I also will use it for hunting yotes and deer. I compared my new mueller for brightness with my brothers 4x12 luepold and a redfield widefield and found the mueller to be on par with these two scopes.Maybe you got a bad scope if so mueller will take care of it thats what your warranty is for. It didnt even sound like you fired a round out of your 30 06 and that is not a fair test on what the scope will or will not due. I have shot 60 rounds on paper out to 500 yds and am more than impressed under half inch group at 100 yds and under four at 500 yds. Fur bearing animals beware /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Mr.Ranger welcome to the board and thanks for your review. You will quickly find that there are lots of scopes used here. Bottom line is, does it suit your needs and budget. If not, get something else.

I am glad that you have looked at the Conquest. You might also want to look at the Bushnell Elite 4200 and Nikon Monarchs. Both have superb optics and are fully multicoated. Low light visibility is excellent.

Over the years, I have used a variety of lower priced products and thought them good at the time. Moving up in quality and price has never been a bad decision. I hope you find what you are looking for.

Jerry

Is there anyone out there still using Mueller or who has bought one in the 7 years since this thread began. I am interested in this, but I am naturally skeptical and am a believer of getting what one pays for.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.