badlands sacrifice review

tslesquire

The Badlands Sacrifice pack was designed for hunters who want to hunt for longer durations, but with less weight tied up in to the pack itself. Badlands was able to get the weight of this pack down to 4 pounds. This is not bad for a pack that can hold 3800 cubic inches.
General Specifications:
Weight: 4LBS
Dimensions: 28"x13"x12"
Capacity: 3800 cu in
C:\Users\TSLESQ~1\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image002.jpg

The weight of the pack was reduced using a couple of design features. First a lighter weight rip stop material was used for the pack then waist and shoulder straps were perforated.
C:\Users\TSLESQ~1\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image004.jpg

This picture shows the shoulder straps, the waist strap is perforated in the same manner.

In addition to the lighter material and perforated straps Badlands mad good use of mesh in the side pockets of the pack and waist band pockets.

Side pockets also shown is the mesh on the back side of the shoulder strap

C:\Users\TSLESQ~1\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image006.jpg

Waist band pockets, the small straps are handy for attaching a range finder

C:\Users\TSLESQ~1\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image008.jpg
In typical Badlands fashion the high stress areas are supported by hypalon (which is what Zodiac style boats are made of) and Aramid thread. Badlands advertises that this thread is capable of supporting 100 lbs. per thread.
This pack also features a heat hardened steel frame, which serves to keep the pack of your back and does provide some structure to the pack when hauling heavy loads.
C:\Users\TSLESQ~1\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image010.jpg

This is the air gap the heat hardened steel provides, helping to keep you cooler on those early season hunts. I feel that the mesh panel and air gap provided by the steel frame on this pack do a better job of keeping my back cool than any other pack.
Those familiar with the 4500 and Summit from Badlands may see a lot of similarities between the three packs because there are. The Sacrifice uses the same materials as the Summit with an overall design that draws from both the 4500 and the Summit. The main compartment on the Sacrifice is much like that of the 4500, a large main storage area with a flap that zips up in the bottom making it two compartments.

C:\Users\TSLESQ~1\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image012.jpg
C:\Users\TSLESQ~1\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image014.jpg

The Sacrifice has a total of four pockets on the outside of the main compartment, the two outermost being the smallest, but are good for long, slim items. In addition to those four pockets, the pack has a pocket on each side of the waist strap and mesh pockets on each side of the main compartment. The top of the main compartment is detatchable and it contains to separate compartments.

Other Gear
The Sacrifice has concessions for carrying a rifle,bow and sleeping bag. Badlands has also integrated a large pocket in the rear of the main compartment that is said to hold a 105 ounce bladder, above this pocket is also a hook to keep your bladder suspended. The pack has approximately 20 loops sewn into the outside for attachement points. To date the only ones I have use are on the waist strap for hanging my range finder.

Functionality
I will do my best to describe with words and photographs the various ways that I have set-up/outfitted my Sacrifice. First let me say that this pack can be large when you want it to be and almost nothing when you are going light. I have heard comments from others that have reviewed this pack that, in short, said "It doesn't get small enough". I disagree, by rearranging the straps (because the buckles interchange) you can make so that the Sacrifice is 4"x12"x24" (see photo below)
C:\Users\TSLESQ~1\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image016.jpg

This is done by slacking the straps for the top pouch slightly, then extending the straps that would hold your sleeping bag to the bottom of the pack and connecting them to the top pouch buckles. In this configuration the pack takes up next to no space on your back and is therefore less likely to hang up on the brush. This set up also allows you to still carry some items in the pack; such as water bladder toiletries, food and that outer jacket you had on in the morning.
Attaching a Bow
Many times I see packs that say they are bow compatible, unfortunately often times that means that you can in some way, with some ingenuity and para cord, attach your bow to the pack. This is not the case with the Sacrifice, you can legitimately attach you bow to this pack with ease. At the bottom of the pack is a zippered compartment in it you will find a pouch that will hold the cam of your bow.
C:\Users\TSLESQ~1\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image018.jpg

On the rear of the pack there are two hypalon reinforce buckles, use these to secure your riser and you are done, bow secured.
C:\Users\TSLESQ~1\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image020.jpg

If you are worried about your arrows getting knocked out of the quiver because brush and branches, you can pull the top pouch over the shafts (depending of course on how much you have in there).
C:\Users\TSLESQ~1\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image022.jpg

Attaching a rifle
Honestly, attaching a rifle is the exact same as attaching a bow, I use the hypalon reinforced straps to go around the scopes on my rifles and to also contain the slings. Below are two examples of rifles attached to the Sacrifice.

Custom 300 RUM 30" barrel 48" OAL
14.6 lbs. Carries this and my 80mm spotting scope with ease

C:\Users\TSLESQ~1\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image024.jpg

6.5x284 Norma Savage long range hunter and sleeping bag attached

C:\Users\TSLESQ~1\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image026.jpg

Attaching the sleeping bag shown in the above picture is quite easy as well, just undo the two bottom straps and wrap around you bag and clip in.

C:\Users\TSLESQ~1\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image028.jpg

I have done my best to show you the Sacrifice and how it can carry gear. I personally have had this pack for one year now and can honestly say I use it more than any other pack I own. I have paired my packs down to three (four if I count the girlfriends) Badlands Sacrifice, Summit, Eberlestock J107 Dragonfly and Eberlestock X1. Each one of these packs have something the others are lacking, however the best all-around of the four is the Sacrifice. As the name implies you are sacrificing when you choose this pack, in my experience you are sacrificing comfort when packing heavy loads. When I say heavy loads I am referring to those elk quarters after a successful hunt. Since I purchased the pack I have used it to pack out two elk, one deer and one bear. With the deer and the bear only one trip was made, with the elk the furthest was packed four miles, with elk requiring multiple trips I make the first haul with my Sacrifice and then switch to my Summit for the remaining trips. Now don't misinterpret what I am saying, you are not in an unbearable amount of pain when packing with the Sacrifice, it just is not as comfortable as my Summit or Dragonfly with the heavier loads.

The hind quarter of this bull was too large to fit in the Sacrifice with the bone on. For perspective, 300lbs of meat came off this bull

C:\Users\TSLESQ~1\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image030.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.