Rangefinder recommendation

WVmnteer

I'm down to two choices - Gunwerks Revic BR4 or Leica 3500. The price is basically the same. Will be used for hunting mainly with my 300 PRC. My hunting shots are under 700-800 yards. However, I like to stretch the PRC out in the summer.

I probably know the least about the Revic. From the videos, it looks like it's a very clunky process to enter wind data with a button and the internal screen. This is probably my biggest hang up on this one for a hunting situation. It's also a bit heavier.

I'm leaning toward the Leica. I already use Applied Ballistics on my phone. The Leica will Bluetooth to an upper level Kestrel also using AB. I'm familiar with AB and comfortable with it. The best I can tell I won't have to manually enter any data to get a firing solution with this combo. Of course, I will have to buy a BT compatible Kestrel so that makes this the most expensive option.

Any recommendations or first hand experience?

I've used a BR2 for years and it has been responsible for many many big game kills at extended range. I will be selling it soon to by a new Gunwerks Revic BR4. There are very few range finders that provide the spin drift correction, coriolis effect correction, and wind correction choices that the new BR4 does. Proper wind correction is a huge part of shooting at extended range and I really liked the improvements they put in the BR4.

I've used a BR2 for years and it has been responsible for many many big game kills at extended range. I will be selling it soon to by a new Gunwerks Revic BR4. There are very few range finders that provide the spin drift correction, coriolis effect correction, and wind correction choices that the new BR4 does. Proper wind correction is a huge part of shooting at extended range and I really liked the improvements they put in the BR4.
Vance, I have a buddy who uses the older bigger Gunwerks RF. It seems to work very well. What do you think the major improvements are with the BR4? What about entering wind data? That seems like a very awkward process with the BR4.

Best new feature is the beam divergence. It's not as tall as most so it's easier to range a smaller target and not get a reading from something in front or behind your intended target. It has several really nice features. I used a BR2 for years and the BR4 is much better. On longer shots wind vectoring feature will be nice, haven't used it yet but looking forward to learning how to .

The BR4 has 2 wind modes, Base Wind and Vector Based Wind. In Base Wind mode you select ahead of time what you want the speed to be in mph. It assumes the wind is a full value, so if you pick 1 mph the correction you see in the display is going to be for a 1 mph 9 o'clock and 3 o'clock wind. This is similar to the old BR2 wind estimate feature, but it shows it in a single display with elevation when you press fire. Base wind doesn't include the various higher level computations like spin drift or aero jump. Revic suggests the Base Mode for lower wind values on shots less than 1000 yards. So if you range a deer say at 550 yards Horizontal range and you have preset for 1 mph you will see the elevation for 550 yards Horizontal range and a 1 mph full value correction at 550 yards Horizontal. If you measured or estimated wind at 4 mph you would multiply the 1 mph MOA correction by 4 if its a full value. If its a angled 4 mph wind then you use some fraction of the 4.

The other wind mode is called Vector Mode. You use the menu button and 2 arrow buttons to set the clock direction of the wind and the estimated speed then press and hold the Fire button to get the elevation and wind correction. This mode includes all the advanced ballistics features for wind.

With any system you intend to use to estimate wind correction I suggest you monitor the wind in real-time as you are hunting to have a constant idea of what the wind is doing so you are not scrambling to make an estimate of direction/force value/speed etc. As we are glassing I constantly watch the wind and keep an idea of value/speed in my mind so if a shot becomes available it doesn't take long to set up.

Last edited:
I'm glad you fully explained it for everyone, I didn't want to type that much
You are correct about the beam improvements, I like the size they made it as well as the 10x optic. The 2 biggest draw backs for the old BR2 for me was the size and the slow speed of switching from 1 rifle to another. But, that BR2 has been a deadly addition to my equipment over the years. Its killed a pile of Coues bucks and last August worked 100% perfect in Africa.

It's also nice to have ten profiles, now I can have all my hunting rifles and my two sons ready to go. Range finders have definitely made it much easier to hunt in open country.

What's your budget? I stopped using my Leica after getting the Sig Kilo 8k. Best move for me. Easy to use and compared to the Revic I think the Sig is a better performer. PM if interested, I have an extra one on hand.

But the Kilo 8k has been reliable, extremely accurate and easy to use. Truing it was easy as well.

I recently acquired the Revic BR4. Having owned/used several RF's(BR2, Sig 2400, Terrapin's, Leica's), IMO, it is an outstanding ballistic rangefinder! The laser pics up non-reflective targets/game out to 2000 yards with the ease and speed that my others range at <500 yards…With a "single" push of the button. As to wind, near/far, temperature overrides, and other time critical controls used in a hunting situation, it's very fast and easy with the on-board controls. The ballistic calculator, whether programmed for med-LR, or ELR applications is nuts on, and duplicates the outputs of my AB based devices to within .25MOA given the same inputs/conditions. As to changing rifle profiles in the field, I doubt you will find a device that is faster or easier. A small detail, but I'm still on my original battery. I would have gone through one or two battteries with any of my other RF's with comparable use! Too soon to tell but I'm hopeful the BR4 is as consistent and reliable as my 10+ year old BR2 has been…A distinguishing difference compared to other RF's I have owned.
IMO, it's well worth a serious look.