Rangefinder for flatland?

alaskan9974

Hunting in Alaska, tundra mainly. Featureless and fairly flat so can't use GPS when hunting new ground to estimate range, and I haven't had luck with my leupold or vortex rangefinders working on the tundra past 500 yards, does anyone hunt on tundra and can recommend a rangefinder that will work out to at least 1000 yards?

Hunting in Alaska, tundra mainly. Featureless and fairly flat so can't use GPS when hunting new ground to estimate range, and I haven't had luck with my leupold or vortex rangefinders working on the tundra past 500 yards, does anyone hunt on tundra and can recommend a rangefinder that will work out to at least 1000 yards?

A belated welcome to LRH and enjoy!

Ranging in the flatland is going to be a challenge but the Sig Sauer 7x25 KILO2000 Laser Rangefinder | SWFA for $349.99 is hard to beat.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f18/sig-sauer-kilo-2000-rangefinder-161599/

Good luck and happy safe hunting.

Cheers!

Ed

What FEENIX said.

W/the sig (I hear it's being closed out, i.e., new model on the horizon according to SWFA), once you get used to locating it's beam center/bounds, with its fast scan rate your problem may well be solved.

Simply hold the button down and start at the sky and bring it down slowly to the object.

Mess with it a bit and I'm confident you'll be pleased.

The stuff SIG is bringing out is pretty impressive.

Lieca has come out with the 2000B and the 1600B is a great RF also. But the only RF that I have found that will pick up an animal with dependable accuracy at 1000yds plus is my Vectronics PLRF 15 which I would get if I lived in the vast expansis that you do, not cheap though!

I have had no issues using my Gunwerks G7 under similar conditions in the flat, snow covered agricultural fields that can stretch for 1000+ yards in Alberta. The ranging modes makes getting an accurate range very fast.

A belated welcome to LRH and enjoy!

Ranging in the flatland is going to be a challenge but the Sig Sauer 7x25 KILO2000 Laser Rangefinder | SWFA for $349.99 is hard to beat.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f18/sig-sauer-kilo-2000-rangefinder-161599/

Good luck and happy safe hunting.

Cheers!

Ed

Thank you!

I was actually looking at that exact model, but I was unsure as to the quality since it was less then the vortex rangefinder I picked up. I will give that one a try. I missed out on a gorgeous black wolf yesterday at what I guess was 8-900 yards. Ended up bringing home Caribou but the wolf would've been a great addition.

I was going to start a similar thread tomorrow, I had issue with my leupold this past weekend on an antelope hunt. Couldn't range any animal past 4-500 yards. It was very frustrating not being able to get a reading knowing they were in my comfort range and the RF's range.

Grayfox any tips on using the G7? I have the gen2 and headed to Saskatchewan next month. Flat and probably snow on ground pretty difficult for most range finders.

Grayfox any tips on using the G7? I have the gen2 and headed to Saskatchewan next month. Flat and probably snow on ground pretty difficult for most range finders.

I have had excellent success ranging deer and coyotes in the snow covered agricultural fields with the G7 at 1000+ yards. My only advice would be to use a steady rest whenever possible, and if you are not already familiar, become proficient understanding and using the near/far ranging modes the G7. I did a review of the "new" G7 listed in the product review section of this site that explains the use of the ranging modes of the G7.

This is the terrain I hunt in neiboring Alberta. I hunt right near the border. Saskatchewan is in the distant background in the photo.

Attachments

• IMG_0044.JPG
    IMG_0044.JPG
    156.6 KB · Views: 64
I was going to start a similar thread tomorrow, I had issue with my leupold this past weekend on an antelope hunt. Couldn't range any animal past 4-500 yards. It was very frustrating not being able to get a reading knowing they were in my comfort range and the RF's range.

The Nikon rangefinders would frustrate you too then... My prostaff 7i is supposed to range to 1200 yards but will rarely do anything short of a sign or rock past 600... Total waste of cash considering my leupy 600 will do 600 on about anything...

Mines the leupold something 1200. I've range stuff out to a grand but it was a different story on flat land. I was ****ed off a bit having spent around 550-600 on it.

Loving my Sig. Not much flatland experience yet, but ranged deer over 1300 and used it on 2 bull elk last week. Compact and super fast scan rate really made a difference for animals on the move.

Vectronix works under nearly all conditions excepting bright sun right out to just shy of 2000 yards--if it's held still. That usually can only happen in either a vise or tripod. Holding the button down also helps in the foregoing conditions. I have the Terrapin--since 5/2012--and have ranged out to 3557 on a cloudy/foggy day and 4176 at night. I used to have photos ranging over tundra in winter, but cannot find them. I'll keep looking and if I do I'll put them on here.

Unfortunately the Terrapin is no longer available new, but occasionally one pops up used on this and other sites. Just to verify the above I attach photos.

Attachments

• beyond spit2.jpg
    beyond spit2.jpg
    175 KB · Views: 59
  • beyond spit03.jpg
    beyond spit03.jpg
    236 KB · Views: 76
I bought a Nikon 7i at a pawn shop last week. I was able to walk outside and range a sign at 865 yards. I took it to the lake last night and ranged the opposite side at 963 yards. Big deal...but I was able to range a water skier at 700 yards and to 797 yards many times, when he fell and all we could see was his head I was able to range him at just over 560 hrs and once over 630 yards. I live in Michigan and have not been able to make it over 1000 yards but will eventually. If it will do it. I do like how fast it is. Faster than my Bushnell 1200 ARC but I liked that as well. Last year two of my buddies could not range for S@$t with their Vortex 1000's and my Bushnell was kicking butt. Then I lost it. So somewhere in a field in Kansas is a 1200 ARC if you happen to find it let me know. LOL I would really like a Sig Kilo 2000 or 2200 but for now I am happy with my $100 pawn store purchase. Kansas will be the true test. Flat and a lot of it.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.