Best rangefinder for elr

I have to say that as far as ranging goes, the old terrapins were top notch.

I've found the leupold 2800 is pretty awesome though. It's been solid in most enviornments consistently over a mile.
I am, however not a fan of the fact it was made in China and has a only a 2 year warranty... I also find the whole tbr/w thing virtually useless but that is just me. Still a better price tag then another terrapin.

I love fooling around with gadgets--the more so when they're affiliated with ELR, electronic and optic--but they got to function. They must deliver the goods with consistently reliable precision accuracy. I have and/or have had two of the Vectronix units mentioned in the quote, the Sig 2400ABS, and the Nikon Black 4000. Based on my use of these units there's no question that the Terrapin X is the fastest and most functional--given its Kestrel connectivity--for under $2K. For a few hundred less the 2400ABS is number two for all the reasons previously stated by owners and users... However, if one just wants the range and angle the Nikon Black 4000 will stun you with its power and speed. Its the fastest RF I've ever seen and I've had it outrange the Terrapin X and the 2400ABS, side by side, same target, etc. Sometimes. The prior focus remains on the OP's original question.

However, if funds mattered not and ones life depended on absolute dependable--always repeatable--range/ballistic information on deer sized animals out to say 2500 yards they'd need another of the prior mentioned RFs the price new is five figures and the user absolutely must have the Bluetooth model to hook up with their Kestrel 5700 Elite. No point in going any farther, but there are several members here that are very familiar with the unit... Like just about anything; it comes down to willingness--and ability--to separate oneself from their Drachmas, Dollars, or Dineros. Baht?

Last edited:
IMO, the "perfect" Ballistic rangefinder designed for the LR hunter has not yet been produced/marketed. I have found that the currently available capability/system for ELR, doesn't translate into the best system for LR hunting where "time" and "fumbling" with multiple devises can(and actually has) made the difference between success and failure on a great trophy. I own a Sig 2400, G7, and Terrapin/Kestral. Each of the available systems have both positive and negative attributes. It would be nice if the positives could be cherry picked and placed into a single unit, whether all would agree, or if it would even be possible with today's technology, at some point a manufacturer will do this. Hopefully, this will be a company with high standards of quality and service...Nightforce comes to mind. Some of the cherries that I would choose:
-the singular unit design combining the RF with on board ballistics of the Sig 2400, G7,
-the size, weight, and ranging reticle design of the Sig 2400
-the environmental conditions capability, and ballistic content of the Kestral 5700 in a RF(single unit).
-the single unit would not require a second devise for reprogramming loads....like the G7.
-fingertip controls(while ranging) for fast adjustments for wind corrections, and range filtering like the Tru-targeting feature in the G7. Having to scroll through a program mode is time consuming.
-the ranging power and accuracy of the Terrapin
-glass quality and self stabilizing reticle -???
-blue tooth for a wind meter and info transfer/storage/
-price point——$1500?
LOL....this is what happens when you spend 40+ years working in the high-tech analytical instrument industry.......Perhaps this may be an unrealistic desire.......Just star gazing!

Last edited:
IMO, the "perfect" Ballistic rangefinder designed for the LR hunter has not yet been produced/marketed. I have found that the currently available capability/system for ELR, doesn't translate into the best system for LR hunting where "time" and "fumbling" with multiple devises can(and actually has) made the difference between success and failure on a great trophy. I own a Sig 2400, G7, and Terrapin/Kestral. Each of the available systems have both positive and negative attributes. It would be nice if the positives could be cherry picked and placed into a single unit, whether all would agree, or if it would even be possible with today's technology, at some point a manufacturer will do this. Hopefully, this will be a company with high standards of quality and service...Nightforce comes to mind. Some of the cherries that I would choose:
-the singular unit design combining the RF with on board ballistics of the Sig 2400, G7,
-the environmental conditions capability, and ballistic content of the Kestral 5700 in a RF(single unit).
-the single unit eoukd not require a second devise for reprogramming loads....like the G7.
-fingertip controls(while ranging) for fast adjustments for wind corrections, and range filtering like the Tru-targeting feature in the G7. Having to scroll through a program mode is time consuming.
-price point——$1500?
LOL....this is what happens when you spend 40+ years working in the high-tech analytical instrument industry.......Perhaps this may be an unrealistic desire.......Just star gazing!

The Sig 2400 is a very competitive and capable product but IMO, the pricing/marketing policies of Sig(Optics) seem very amateurish. When the next generation of Sig RF is introduced, who would ever pay the introduction price! Wait 2 years and get a +40% break....with the bugs finally worked out. It's possible we could be seeing an inventory dump in preparation for an advanced capability replacement. If so, I surly won't be paying the initial price.
I did wait 2 years, and that's EXACTLY WHATS GOING ON with SIG. They're preparing to introduce their NEXT GENERATION of ABS RF's.
Theosmithjr

-the single unit would not require a second devise for reprogramming loads....like the G7.
-price point——$1500?

Quite informative I hope nightforce could come up with some of your innovative ideas.

I ve had a Vectronix 15 c for many years and ranges out to 5100 yds. Never had a problem. My Leica binocular calculator is not as good as AB but the distance ranging matches Vectronix. Had problems with my Sig 2400 and just could not get it to work well. Optics to me were poor compared to the others. Sent it in to Sig. Never use it. My old Swarovski has great optics and really convenient since it's clipped to my belt. Use it for close ranging a lot.

Quite informative I hope nightforce could come up with some of your innovative ideas.
The new rf from Horus (now owned by NF) is due real soon. I have not idea how it will stack up but am anxious to see all new offerings.
-price point——$1500?

The perfect rf for one shooter is not the perfect one for another. I want a singe purpose RF, not with ballistics software that is affordable, very fast and rugged. I don't care if it is capable of seeing a barn at 27 miles, I am interested in how sharp the measuring cone is and sensitivity to NON reflective targets. Ideally, it would be able to get the true distance to fur such as a groundhog at 2k yards. If you are going to offer a big circle for aiming, put a small dot WHEREEVER in the circls the measurement is made to. It seems to never be in the middle and a better aiming device is needed anyway. $1500 seems like the limit since new stuff at higher levels of capability come along every 2 years. Jacking up the price with unnecessary extras defeats the push for better range finding capabilities.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.