Rangefinder for flat lands

jrock

Official LRH Sponsor
LRH Sponsor
I've been planning an upgrade from my Bushnell 1300 geforce ARC as it doesn't range past 400 yards on the flat lands. I've been practicing my shooting past 800 yards and would like a range finder that would work at that distance on steel and game.

I heard the Leica 1600s were good back when I got my geforce. Now I see clearance sales on the 2700s for around $500. Anyone use the 2700 to confirm its validity at those ranges on my expected targets?
I've been eyeing the Kilo2000 or 2200s as well for about $300 but the narrow band of the Leicas appears to be where its at.

I don't care for a ballistics solution as I don't trust a range finder app to account for long range shooting parameters like Coriolis.

I have used a Sig Kilo 2200 MR to range antelope (non reflective target) out to a bit past 1400 yards. I'm very happy with the simplicity and speed of the Kilo so far. Haven't used a Leica before but I've never heard anything bad about them. For a while the 1600b was the gold standard.

I would avoid the sig kilo 2200, at least the one I sold. It seems like quality is all over the place with the 2200s. Also avoid the nikon 4K. If you're going for something comparable to that, the Leupold 2800 out performs both and for smaller objects in my opinion does better than the vortex razor or objects in the sun at around the 1500 mark using the elr mode. Then again but I don't mind because I just use the vortex for archery and that's for the areas I've been so far with it.

...I don't care for a ballistics solution as I don't trust a range finder app to account for long range shooting parameters like Coriolis.

Hmm, just how far are you planning on shooting?
For a person that is just starting to shoot past 800 yards coriolis isn't going to be your problem, you've got a lot of work to do before you're good enough and you're shooting at targets far enough away to be worried about coriolis.

Liecas are hard to use on flat land. My 1600 would struggle. It's mainly cuz of small beam makes it need to be super steady to reflect, needed to be on a tripod. The best I've used for flat country has been the Swarovski. It has a larger been but I was able to reflect off animals at 800-1000yds regularly.

I'd love to have one that shoots steel out to 1500 yards or more. I want to put out the target up and then drive back to my shooting position and range it. Currently, I have to do it in steps which is annoying and I don't get exact measurements. On game, 1000 yards would be great so I know how to plan my stalk or pick a shooting position.

I was planning on $500 for my next upgrade which was the amount the 1600b's were going for 5 or more years ago on ebay. Is the 1600 worth getting used around $250 or $300 over the cameraland deal on the 2700?

My 1600 has trouble ranging prairie dog mounds past 400 or so, the 2700 has no trouble on a good dirt mound to close to 1000. And that is just braced on the quad or truck door, no tripod.... The 2700 has ranged a single antelope at 2200 from a tripod. My 1600 and Sig 2000 struggle on antelope much past 8-900....

When I set up my gong range, I left my pickup at the shooting sight and set my steel by ranging back to the reflective side of the truck using 3 different lrf's. Between the Sig 2000, Leica 1600 and swaro rf b'nocs, I was able to get within a one yard reading between the 3 'finders....

I replaced a Bushnell Elite 1 mile with a Leica 2000 for the same reason, I couldn't get the Bushnell to range a deer past 400. I have been satisfied with the Leica, it is much better at ranging game.

Guys, I live on the eastern side of Arkansas where you can see the horizon. I use the sig kilo 3000 ranging binos. So far the furthest on deer I have ranged to 957yds of hand. It works really well

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts