Rings & base for savage la flat back

silvercreekguide

I'm trying to find the best rings and 20moa base for a savage 111 with a flat back 338 EDGE. I have a Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x56 that will be mounted in the rings. Now I have a EGW 20moa base that I have bedded to the action for a prefict fit. Will this base be ok?

Thanks, Mike

I decided to stick with the EGW base with the Nightforce UL rings. With a Nightforce 5.5-22x56 and this ring and base combo, should I lap the rings? Hope someone can help me out.

Thanks, Mike

Responses appear to be limited.....

I mounted my Vortex Viper on a EGW 20 rail with Warne Maxima Steel rings and lapped them lightly with Clover lapping compound and a 30mm centerless ground drill rod and I'm happy.

No problem. I had a bit of a dither lapping the Warne Rings because they are vertically split but other than that, no issues.

Just makes sure that the underside of the EGW rail mates to the top of the receiver properly. I did make sure there was no evidence of any burrs on the underside and confirmed the underside radius on the EGW matched the contour of the receiver top (mine is rounded). I used radius gages. I torqued the mounting screws ro 32 inch pounds with blue threadlocker and with the bolt out, made sure there was no protrusion from the mounting screws into the receiver itself. There wasn't.

You really only need about 1-1/2 full threads engaged male and female.

Have fun....

My base didn't match perfectly so that is why I bedded the base and now it does. Nightforce states on their website to not lap the rings but I am not sure if that is with their base or any base...

Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.