Rangefinder Choice

Bominiscious

I bow hunt timber and I rifle hunt cutovers and green fields in the south. I need a do all rangefinder to replace an older Nikon that I have used for 15 years.
- I like to shoot on the range out to 800 yards.
- In hunting scenarios I need to be precise ranging in those cutovers out to about 500 yards.

I am willing to spend $400-$500 if I can get a lot more for that money. But for Less money are their options that would do all I need for now? I don't want to waste money but I am happy to buy once cry once.

I bow hunt timber and I rifle hunt cutovers and green fields in the south. I need a do all rangefinder to replace an older Nikon that I have used for 15 years.
- I like to shoot on the range out to 800 yards.
- In hunting scenarios I need to be precise ranging in those cutovers out to about 500 yards.

I am willing to spend $400-$500 if I can get a lot more for that money. But for Less money are their options that would do all I need for now? I don't want to waste money but I am happy to buy once cry once.
A lot of the rangefinders that are good for long range shooting are magnified, and are poor for FOV as it relates to archery hunting in my opinion.

I use the vortex ranger 1800 which works out to about 800y reliably. It has low magnification, good low light pick up, is accurate and a decent fov. So it stays in my Archery kit.
IMG_2726.jpeg

Unfortunately, it had limited distribution and I don't believe it's made anymore. Perhaps they have a new model with similar specs.

I like knowing how far I have to stalk in. I personally use better rangefinders for shooting.

A lot of the rangefinders that are good for long range shooting are magnified, and are poor for FOV as it relates to archery hunting in my opinion.

I use the vortex ranger 1800 which works out to about 800y reliably. It has low magnification, good low light pick up, is accurate and a decent fov. So it stays in my Archery kit.
View attachment 500533
Unfortunately, it had limited distribution and I don't believe it's made anymore. Perhaps they have a new model with similar specs.

I like knowing how far I have to stalk in. I personally use better rangefinders for shooting.
DF,
Thanks that is helpful. What do you use for shooting? You said you use a better rangefinder for that I'm curious. Maybe I need to evaluate what my priority is between shooting and archery and buy multiple range finders.

DF,
Thanks that is helpful. What do you use for shooting? You said you use a better rangefinder for that I'm curious. Maybe I need to evaluate what my priority is between shooting and archery and buy multiple range finders.
I have a leupold 2800 for just casual range trips, the vortex fury with AB for hunting, sig kilo 5k for competition, and a few military grade ones I use professionally both rifle mounted and handheld.