Binocular choice

Swaro EL 10x42s have the best optical clarity/discrimmination of any binocular I have owned or tried. Unfortunately due to their size and weight they often get left in truck in favor of an old pair of Zeis Diafun 8x30s. Especially for bowhunting and still hunting. For longer range spotting I take the swaros but usually carry them in my pack until I get there. Beware that once you have had the best it's really hard to settle for less. All of my rifle scopes are now swaro. and my next big investment will be a swaro spotter. Keep in mind that most manufacturer's offer different levels of quality - Swaro ELs are better than SLCs, Z8s are better than Z6s... Leupold VX6 is better than VX3... I have worked as an optics engineer and understand that high end clarity requires high purity glass and lots of polishing. Bottomline - you get what you pay for.

Swaro EL 10x42s have the best optical clarity/discrimmination of any binocular I have owned or tried. Unfortunately due to their size and weight they often get left in truck in favor of an old pair of Zeis Diafun 8x30s. Especially for bowhunting and still hunting. For longer range spotting I take the swaros but usually carry them in my pack until I get there. Beware that once you have had the best it's really hard to settle for less. All of my rifle scopes are now swaro. and my next big investment will be a swaro spotter. Keep in mind that most manufacturer's offer different levels of quality - Swaro ELs are better than SLCs, Z8s are better than Z6s... Leupold VX6 is better than VX3... I have worked as an optics engineer and understand that high end clarity requires high purity glass and lots of polishing. Bottomline - you get what you pay for.

exactly. the EL's are alpha glass. Some of the companies who make mid-range glass do a fine job, and make a very passable binocular that will appeal to a good segment of the population, but it is not alpha glass. There is a difference, and it is noticeable with extended useage. They are heavy though. Most of my hunting in the NE is from a treestand, so it doesn't matter; but for walking I have a pair of lightweight Swaro CL's that don't weigh me down. They are not nearly the glass that the EL's are, but they are as lightweight and just as good as some of the midrange full size binos.

In reality, when it comes to evaluations, most people will never take 2 sets of binoculars or 2 riflescopes out on a hunt and view them side by side, so their sense of comparison is more from memory under a set of unequal field conditions - which is prone to error. A true comparison would be side to side under a wide range of conditions. Some outfitters get to do that out west, due to the nature of guiding ..... personally I just load down my kid with different optics when we sit in a treestand together and then compare specifics. :)

I have a pair of Swaro SLC 10x42 and they are excellent. I also have a pair of Vortex Viper and they are a really good budget binocular. If you have the money, I would go with the Swaro SLC.

Thats the thing with Binoculars, every person sees different, I love Leica glass to me nothing better or more brilliant with zero eye strain even after glassing for hours and I've owned all of them, Meopta,Swarovski,Zeiss,Kahles, you can't really go wrong with any of the high end stuff as they are all excellent, but what it comes down to is comfort in your hand and to your eyes......and your wallet !!!
Good choice on the Binoculars

...If a $2,000 pair is really twice as good as a $1,000 pair I would consider it. I have friends who have Swarovski and Zeiss and they love them. Just checking to see what is new and worth the money.

I wouldn't say that 2x the price = 2x the quality is a good rule to follow in general. As with anything else, you pay A LOT OF MONEY for fine tuning and incremental gains. Is a 4k custom rifle 4x as good as an off the shelf top of the line factory rifle costing 1k? No. It does have incremental gains in multiple areas though, using better features/functionality and higher quality construction that make it significantly "better" for the end user. Same can be said for 400k cars and 100k cars...a Tesla can beat the pants off of a Lamborghini in a straight line but is a fraction of the cost...but the Lambo has other things that make it cost more. Binos/spotters are no different.

I have a pair of Nikon Monarch X that I bought 4-5 years ago before they were discontinued, because they were on sale from $599 to $399 and I had a gift card that covered the full cost. They are good glass...probably 70-80% as good as the high end players that cost 3-4 times more money. That extra 20-30% costs a lot, but when part of the whole package is worth it to many people. I'm saving up for a pair of Swaros, because seeing 70-80% is good in areas I know well, but that extra 20-30% I'm missing out on haunts me in my sleep and I'm now ready to pay to make those bad dreams go away.

My swaro binoculars will last the rest of my life and then get passed on to my kid. Divided over the time I use them, the price will be negligible. As in, a cup of coffee a day.

The time I have for hunting is limited. With all my other gear, I spend money to make sure it does exactly what I need it to. I spend a great deal of time and money to make sure the bullet goes where I want, through load development, practice, etc.

I drive far, hunt long, and sacrifice in order to have the opportunity to succeed.

So when it comes to optics, I'm not going to save 500 bucks (which will then get spent on something else, and be used up or forgotten) and then miss opportunities because my capabilities have been limited by choosing a lesser optic.

this is my perspective. others may have different expectations, but with all the competition and fleeting opportunities around here, I need to maximize every chance I get.

Last edited:
Huntax you made a wise choice don't listen to any who will tell you their bushnells and nikkons are just as good. In 15 years or more your bino's will still be as clear as they are now. The other guys will have upgraded and spent more than you did in your choice. When that happens you will be able to laugh at them and say should have done what I did. Paid more at first but saved money in the long run. Congrats on your purchase and many years of crystal clear viewing.

I have a swaro spotter (guy needed money deal), ever since I have wanted the binos and been saving my pennies. My question is for my purpose (hunting hills/draws in the eastern half of Oklahoma, are the 10x42's a better choice over the 8x32's? I guess I'm asking is the less weight of the 32's enough of a bonus over the bigger glass. Or should I go with my gut and get the 10x42?

I have a swaro spotter (guy needed money deal), ever since I have wanted the binos and been saving my pennies. My question is for my purpose (hunting hills/draws in the eastern half of Oklahoma, are the 10x42's a better choice over the 8x32's? I guess I'm asking is the less weight of the 32's enough of a bonus over the bigger glass. Or should I go with my gut and get the 10x42?

If you aren't completely sold on 10x, don't overlook the 8.5x42's. I know that some very knowledgeable optics guys prefer them. Either way, personally I'd stay with the 42 objective over the 32.

Leica Noctivid, easily beats out the EL. You dont even have to try to see the difference in brightness, depth of field, and ease of viewing. Best in the world. Absolutely amazing.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.