Range trips - boxes or bags?

EXPRESS

I have used tool boxes and backpacks to hold my gear for my range trips, but neither has really satisfied me. I prefer backpack that will hold a rifle, or to be able to strap the rifle case to the pack.

What I think would be ideal is something that lets you quickly see exactly what you have in there and is easy to carry and cart. Backpacks are easy to carry and cart, but you can't see what's in there unless you pull everything out. Tool boxes are a hassle to carry any distance and you need a big (heavy) one to hold any amount of gear.
Most of my "range trips" are actually into the field, so I have to take everythign I'll need.

What I'm considering is one of those bigger tool boxes that also roll, and maybe finding one with big wheels or replacing them.

What do you guys use? Post pics please!!

Well the range trips usually are just a drive outside of town where I have some large rocks to shoot at extended ranges. I have a 5 gallon home depot bucket that I take along with me, and this is the funny part; I have one of those small work benches that are split in the middle that serves as my shooting bench. Pretty simple setup and depending on where I setup I can get out to 13 to 1400 yards if needed. I will be trying that this winter. I generally shoot between 700 to 1000yards.

Go visit Lowes and Home Depot and look at the various tool bags.

Generally I use milk crates for ammo and a tool bag for everything else but I also try not to haul anything to the range I don't actually need.

Of course I got lucky and when I bought my property south of town I also ended up buying part of the local 200yd bench rest range.:D

My range is close, so I usually only take a few rifles. Rifles go into double rifle soft cases like these:
MidwayUSA Sniper Drag Bag Tactical Rifle Case

Everything else goes into one of these large range bags, and it stays there all the time.
I have all the pouches labeled (Tools, Stapler/Staples, tape/stickers, Safety/Med, Data). Inside goes soft rests (front/rear), some cut 2x4 blocks for makeshift elevation rests, extra bipod, boonie hat (sun), chrono, towel, ammo boxes. The ammo boxes are the only things that come out when I get home.
MidwayUSA Competition Range Bag System

In the back of the truck I keep cardboard, tripod, movers blanket and tarp (used for prone shooting).

I don't have to walk more than 30 ft from car to range, so no biggie it takes 2 trips.

When I shoot airgun down the street, I have one rifle and a small backpack that does hold everything I need and is easily portable. I'm sure a similar setup could be made for centerfire, but I already have a system that works.

You could build a wheelie setup with a dolly and some wood/crates if you are the least bit handy.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts