Sand bags or bipod for load development

I use an older caldwell deluxe adjustable front rest and a sandbag for the rear. The front rest should have a vertical adjustment wheel so you can raise or lower the gun on the target. You should not be putting any muscle into the gun to hold the gun on the target, the rest will do it for you.

Like building a house, you gotta have a good foundation, otherwise you're p!ssing in the wind.......

012_zpsl5n2pk9t.jpg

Yeh me to.
Like anything you need a good foundation to work from.
Has to be repeatable & eliminate as much error as possible from the rifle then of course the guy behind the trigger has to do the same, be consistent in position, set up etc otherwise it will not transfer to the target!

I used to think sand bags, but after utilizing bi-pods for several years I have become accustomed to rely on them. If they are good enough for 1000 yd matches then they should work for any other purpose. I like them because they are solid and don't "give" and don't need to be readjusted due to settling, etc. Use what you are going to be utilizing afterward, sand bags are cumbersome to tote around, bi-pods are attached, another plus. Once you get used to them they will be "good to go". OR NOT, LOL.

The sandbag is going to be steadier. Its got a lot more surface area pressing against your rifle and you wont be picking up vibrations that you'd get from the relatively thin legs of a bipod. If you want to actually practice you need to shoot off a bipod of course, unless the only situation you ever plan on using your rifle is sitting down at a bench.

A solid table, quality adjustable front rest, and quality rear bag. Bipod, with quality rear bag. Sandbags, mixing, and matching until the right height front and rear is close enough to contort my body into an acceptable sight picture.

Alf, which front rest are you using in this picture?
That's a 1st generation Sinclair windage rest that they only made for a couple 3 years.

It's relegated to strictly 600/ 1000 BR duties now, as I picked up a regular Hart rest for general plinking and prairie dogs. I've got four tops to cover all my stocks as well.....

That's a 1st generation Sinclair windage rest that they only made for a couple 3 years.

It's relegated to strictly 600/ 1000 BR duties now, as I picked up a regular Hart rest for general plinking and prairie dogs. I've got four tops to cover all my stocks as well.....

Thank you. I thought it might be a Sinclair., just didn't look the same as what's available now.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.