Rear Bags

Roy

Are these Poly Fil Micro Beads polystyrene? or hard beads?

I have tried to source them over here (in Blighty:D) spending nearly three hours off the LRH site yesterday but to no avail.

Roy you gotta help me pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease.

PM me how you want the money.

HP

Very light and small you can see some laying around in the pics. They are a bit difficult to manage.:rolleyes: Nearly impossible to get out of the carpet.......

When you get a bag DON'T follow the directions for filling. You'll have poly beads all over the place. They are highly electrostatic and after the bag is opened the very slightest compression will shoot beads in a stream.

My instructions: Scrounge up a piece of tubing. I used a brass tube from a old muzzle loader flask that hasn't been used in years. A 3" 410 shot shell w/the head cut off would work. I cut a bag corner to fit the tube then taped the tube into the cut leaving enough tube to insert into the opening in the bags you wish to fill.

The stuff flows like water but the slightest leak results in beads every where. Their instructions recommend a friend to assist. I found this to be not so good. 4 hands were way worse than 2. Its also best to do this when the wife isn't home. And have the Hoover handy.....

I just made the two bags, square w/handles, this evening. The green bag was filled with plastic beads. Buffalobob about laughed me out of camp when he saw what I was carrying. The thing weighed several pounds.:(

All bags shown now have the poly beads and all together weigh, on the bathroom digital scales:rolleyes:, 0.8 lbs. Effectively weightless.

You can see on the bag that the price was $13.99.

You should be able to find them at any crafts or sewing/material store.

Some funny looks can be received when asking dumb questions in those kinds of places so be careful.:D

If that search doesn't pan out $13.99 + S&H (postage) and an address will do the job.

Bag.jpg

Products.jpg

I like the poly beads. But, mine are a bit bigger, hard, and heavier. Same company makes 'em. I just wrap the 1/2 lb bag with duct tape. The micro poly was much lighter. Not as solid a rest. And made a bloody mess!

I like the poly beads. But, mine are a bit bigger, hard, and heavier. Same company makes 'em. I just wrap the 1/2 lb bag with duct tape. The micro poly was much lighter. Not as solid a rest. And made a bloody mess!

Grit,

I noticed that IF I made the bags flat as are the ones w/the rope handle, they are much steadier than the rabbit ear and round green bag by them selves.

I made the handled bags two different thicknesses to go under the rabbit ear'd leather bag. Its like a rock. I have just a slight, very slight slope on the stock, thus a slight side back and forth works well for the "natural" rest. The solid bipod helps a bunch also.

The whole system, stock, bipod and beanie bags, are disigned to be able to spot shots at any distance. The trick is a good, really good and solid set up.

Firstly apologies to Albert I think I kinda hijacked your thread buddy :( apologies for that!!!!

Roy

"You should be able to find them at any crafts or sewing/material store."

Craft shops here only sell card making bits 'n pieces and sewing or material shops are non existant according to my missus:(

So Roy PM me as to where I send you the $20 bill you'll need to buy the bag and do you think $6 will cover postage?

Thanks HP

I don't think the thread was hi-jacked, building and materials required is all part of a good set of answers. What forums are great for.

Here's a great builder of these - super responsive to changes & mods: Gunner's Gear, Custom Rear Shooting Bags, Ammo Wallets, and Custom Sewn Accessories!. Lots of camo patterns, the handles are nice, and the new version with a 3-sided triangle of different dimensioned sides is very handy for a quick change of elevation. PLUS, the ammo wallets are a super handy thing for LRH.

FWIW: I'd opt for the McM A-3 over the A-5 for most hunting situations where major elevation changes are the norm. The A-5 is harder to get switched.

I use the simple neck rest bags you can get at Wall Mart. They are filled with buckwheat seed. They can be laid flat, doubled over, or coiled up like a snake.

Roy,

I found polystyrene beads too bouncy when I tried them a while back...and that lead, for me, to inaccuracy. Are you as accurate with this fill as with something that isn't springy (such as polycarbonate beads or wheat etc)?

HP,

When you try this link, you will be able to imagine how hard I am having to work to resist making an unhelpful and sarcastic observation :) POLYSTYRENE BEADS, BEAN BAG REFILL, POLYSTYRENE BEANS

Roy,

I found polystyrene beads too bouncy when I tried them a while back...and that lead, for me, to inaccuracy. Are you as accurate with this fill as with something that isn't springy (such as polycarbonate beads or wheat etc)?

Brown Dog,
I can appreciate your experience. I think the beads in the link are the regular normal sized ones. Not the micro beads. I just returned from the range and was using the micro bead bags I just filled. Shooting at 410, 500 and 629 yards, all groups were spot on except for the darn'd 17 mph winds but were no larger than 1/4 moa at any of the ranges. One of the nicer things about our wind is that if you don't shot during a gust its pretty much constant.

Buffalobob used bags filled with the micro beads to shoot a 0.48885 moa group at 1500yds + as described in a recent post.

I find the micro beads to be much better than the rice/sand I've been using for decades in the rear leather rabbit ear bag.

I thinks there's a lot of personal preference included in this element of shooting.

HP,

When you try this link, you will be able to imagine how hard I am having to work to resist making an unhelpful and sarcastic observation :) POLYSTYRENE BEADS, BEAN BAG REFILL, POLYSTYRENE BEANS

Must be an "in country" thing. I don't get it :confused:

Roy,

Ah! I hadn't clocked the 'micro' part! Yes, my link is to standard beads -and the standard beads are what I had no luck with.

HP,

Good thing I resisted then! ....my Varget in yet? :)

BD

Thats probably the closest me an Roy will get to an apology... so accepted:eek:

Chased the guy up earlier he will chase it tomorrow, he's so **** slow I'm amazed he ties his shoes on his own:D:D

Roy

In country joke by the intellectually and phsyco challenged buddy of mine Brown Dog ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.