Rear bag for hunting

Does anyone have a good, light-weight solution for a rear bag while hunting? I have a bag, but it seems a little heavy and bulky to put in my pocket while hiking.

I was chatting with a co-worker, and he mentioned hearing of a guy that takes an old tube sock in his pocket. When he gets into position, he fills it with dirt and ties off the end, effectively making a rear bag.

Has anyone tried this? It seems pretty clever to me, but was looking for additional thoughts.
Darrel Holland makes 3 different sizes of rear gun bags that has a clip on it so you can hook on your belt loop that works great. try this: https://www.hollandguns.com/

IMG_1801.JPG

I'm trying the Dog Gone Good field bag.
They have a couple sizes to choose from.
I'm running it as a rear bag with a Harris bipod up front.
Works good so far from bench & prone
Has a belt clip or fits easily in my pack.
Good quality heavy cordura material.

Weibad Pump Pillow, Tod Tac Pad, and SAP "Run N Gun"
https://www.shortactionprecision.com/products/sap-run-n-gun-bag

With these in my pack along w/ rain gear and a Kuiu vest & jacket plus a pair of shooting sticks, longer (27")bi-pod, and a SLIK tripod w/ rifle rest V bar attachment, I have yet to find a situation where a stable shooting platform can't be made. PLUS.....the pump pillow is GREAT for naps!

Weibad Pump Pillow, Tod Tac Pad, and SAP "Run N Gun"
https://www.shortactionprecision.com/products/sap-run-n-gun-bag

With these in my pack along w/ rain gear and a Kuiu vest & jacket plus a pair of shooting sticks, longer (27")bi-pod, and a SLIK tripod w/ rifle rest V bar attachment, I have yet to find a situation where a stable shooting platform can't be made. PLUS.....the pump pillow is GREAT for naps!

That sure is taking up a lot of real estate in your pack! Are you also packing anything out in that same pack? I won't argue that fact they would be handy as heck to have along, but I wouldn't want to pack them around for 10 miles. IMO

That sure is taking up a lot of real estate in your pack! Are you also packing anything out in that same pack? I won't argue that fact they would be handy as heck to have along, but I wouldn't want to pack them around for 10 miles. IMO

FWIW they clip to the outside of your pack, not inside taking up space.

Raising this one from the dead
I'm interested to hear what rear bags others are packing in for long range work on hunts this year, bought or built, changes to their setups, what worked last year, what didn't and maybe some lessons learned.
S. Grasseth

Raising this one from the dead
I'm interested to hear what rear bags others are packing in for long range work on hunts this year, bought or built, changes to their setups, what worked last year, what didn't and maybe some lessons learned.
S. Grasseth
Used lead shot bags full of lightweight plastic pellets.

I make some of them with essentially horizontal stripes sewn in so they can be rolled to the perfect height, others half and full filled. They weigh just a few ounces even when completely filled.

Last year I used a Sea to Summit 2.5L bag filled with assorted inflated packing material. Benefits were highly responsive to squeeze with minimal pressure required, ultra lightweight weighing only an ounce or so, easily packed, while giving decent positive stability. Cons: A little bouncy and noisy when operating.
This year I'm using the same material but inside my Gunwerks BR2 case. Quiet, much more solid with a minor penalty in weight gain.
IMG_20181014_211925232.jpg

IMG_20181014_211902610.jpg

IMG_20181014_211405418.jpg

IMG_20181014_211012041.jpg

IMG_20181014_211042523.jpg

I loop the rear strap of the stock pack thru both the paracord zipper straps on the G7 case and let it hang from the rifle, never notice it.
IMG_20181014_211128119.jpg

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.