Ramblings and Such From Hunting Coyote

Now for the rest of the story . The company I worked for used to send the company jet to pick this guy up to trouble shoot problems that they couldn't figure out on their turbines . He charged them 25000.00 a day plus they furnished him a car , his room and meals flew him there and back again . So this one time the unit 2 turbine wasn't responding the way it should and the speed wasn't controlling right you have to run them at 3600 rpm to get the correct frequency for the electricity produced . So this guy comes out and after most of a day tells them that in the pilot valve for the right main steam valve they have a bad bellows that controls the oil flow to control the main valves operation . They order one for a cost of 35000.00 and when it comes in he will be brought back to oversee it's installation . A few weeks later the part has arrived , the guy will be brought out on a certain date the unit brought down and the part installed . The day comes but the power demand is high so they don't want to shut down for any longer then they have to as it costs them a million dollars a day in lost revenue to have the unit down . So they wait to the last minute to shut it down so then the turbine metal isn't cooled down enough to stop the oil pumps as if they did they would have to stop rotating the turbine rotors . The hp weighs 7 tons , the lp weighs 15 tons and are at 750 degrees f so if you don't keep them turning at a low speed they will sag then you can't get them to balance and it will destroy the turbine at start up . They send a couple of guys to work with this contract guy they get the old part out but are having problems getting the new one in with the hot oil still flowing so the guy tells them to machine this part here a little . It still doesn't go in so he says to push a little harder . it goes but has been bent and the bellows ruined . The guy working with them at one time had worked in a radiator repair shop and had seen that the problem with the old one was that the solder seam was the problem it had cracked and was leaking so he said to the other two I think I can fix the old one . The others look at him then agree that at this point they really don't have any thing to loose . The young guy does indeed fix the old one and they do get the oil pumps shut off for a few minutes and get it installed . The next day when the guy comes in to work he's called to the superintendents office with a lot of the higher ups . They begin by chewing on him then tell him that he had ruined 35000.00 in parts and no longer had a job . The high paid guy then stands up and tells the plant guys he did what I told him to and this other guy knew how to fix the other part you guys failed to do your part and get things ready to do the work properly and safely so if you fire him you will never see me at this plant again so go have sex with yourselves I'm done with you . The company people learned that they weren't as much in control as they thought they were the high priced guy learned that their were people that knew things he didn't and could indeed bail him out . The two plant hands that did the work learned that the company didn't respect them and moved on when they could .

Life lessoned learned Dave...……...ok now we are going to get your snow camoed head back into coyotes...…..that 60 coyotes shot video, that was very interesting and it looked like it was all mostly done at denning time...…...so we are going to do a frontal lobotomy on Mr. Sheetz, to pick his brain a little more as none of us are done "whacking" coyotes yet...……...Dave, where is a "common area that coyotes like to den, other than out of sight? I mean lay it out there where you "usually" find areas that coyotes like to den in as I still need to get a few killed off in areas we have pheasants. We have major drainages around here and it seems to me they like to use side draws and field low spots where you would never guess them to be...………………..lay it out Dave, time to take you down memory lane and layout some memories...………….what do they like in general?

Now for the rest of the story . The company I worked for used to send the company jet to pick this guy up to trouble shoot problems that they couldn't figure out on their turbines . He charged them 25000.00 a day plus they furnished him a car , his room and meals flew him there and back again . So this one time the unit 2 turbine wasn't responding the way it should and the speed wasn't controlling right you have to run them at 3600 rpm to get the correct frequency for the electricity produced . So this guy comes out and after most of a day tells them that in the pilot valve for the right main steam valve they have a bad bellows that controls the oil flow to control the main valves operation . They order one for a cost of 35000.00 and when it comes in he will be brought back to oversee it's installation . A few weeks later the part has arrived , the guy will be brought out on a certain date the unit brought down and the part installed . The day comes but the power demand is high so they don't want to shut down for any longer then they have to as it costs them a million dollars a day in lost revenue to have the unit down . So they wait to the last minute to shut it down so then the turbine metal isn't cooled down enough to stop the oil pumps as if they did they would have to stop rotating the turbine rotors . The hp weighs 7 tons , the lp weighs 15 tons and are at 750 degrees f so if you don't keep them turning at a low speed they will sag then you can't get them to balance and it will destroy the turbine at start up . They send a couple of guys to work with this contract guy they get the old part out but are having problems getting the new one in with the hot oil still flowing so the guy tells them to machine this part here a little . It still doesn't go in so he says to push a little harder . it goes but has been bent and the bellows ruined . The guy working with them at one time had worked in a radiator repair shop and had seen that the problem with the old one was that the solder seam was the problem it had cracked and was leaking so he said to the other two I think I can fix the old one . The others look at him then agree that at this point they really don't have any thing to loose . The young guy does indeed fix the old one and they do get the oil pumps shut off for a few minutes and get it installed . The next day when the guy comes in to work he's called to the superintendents office with a lot of the higher ups . They begin by chewing on him then tell him that he had ruined 35000.00 in parts and no longer had a job . The high paid guy then stands up and tells the plant guys he did what I told him to and this other guy knew how to fix the other part you guys failed to do your part and get things ready to do the work properly and safely so if you fire him you will never see me at this plant again so go have sex with yourselves I'm done with you . The company people learned that they weren't as much in control as they thought they were the high priced guy learned that their were people that knew things he didn't and could indeed bail him out . The two plant hands that did the work learned that the company didn't respect them and moved on when they could .
Been There and Done It, I still Have the T-Shirt ;)

ButterBean , If we take the time to think on it we all have been there and done that . For Me I liked the denning season the best . I have seen them den in a lot of strange places but when you keep notes and compare them from year to year you will find some common things that keep showing up . As you mentioned Scott they seem to prefer side draws that are less traveled by other animals . The majority of the dens I've taken were south facing even when they weren't on a cut bank but on a slight raise , maybe in a patch of sage brush . They tend to like an area with good grass surrounding it here and plenty of sun shine as well as drainage so the den doesn't flood with a heavy rain or spring snow storm . I find that they will have a cut bank or sloping bank higher up on the sides of a draw often with a flat toped area for the pups to play . I have in the mountains found them denning under a rock that has an area cleaned out under it . I took the same den hole often in rocks , rock cracks and one time found that a large piece of rock had broken off and dropped down close enough that a person had a hard time fitting between the two but there was a nice hole in the larger piece where the coyote denned several times . I have found that here if you take a den make note of it don't mess it up and take the pups with you . Most likely the same female will not use that hole again but if you kill the pair the new coyote that move in next year or two will find that hole and use it again or be right in that same area . The USDA depot in Idaho has what are called larger gas cartridges that you can buy from your local weed and pest county offices . They burn and produce smoke using up the air in the den when lit and the den entrance is covered . You then can wire the pups out of the den . Remember that coyote can smell far better then any human so the smell left in the den hole by the other years inhabitants as well as the general over all area draw the coyote back to the same denning area year after year the same way that the new coyote will hunt , live and lay up in the same areas for generations . I bought a satellite map from a company and had the GPS coordinates of all the dens I had taken ( after I got a GPS unit I went back and took them from years past with my rough log notes ) marked on it . I do like to den but as I have said many times I prefer to to kill the female of the pair before she has pups . At this time of the year the pair really don't talk much normally so that they don't give you their location well . They will how ever readily check out another coyotes sounds . Often they will just set or lay and watch you where they can see the den and the location of the intruder , that's another reason you learn to see them not moving even in the timber and brushy areas . If they can see you you can see them . If you are too close to the den they will run out and start talking to draw you away from it so then you know that where they are trying to get you to go is away from the den and you want to go the other way . By mid May the pups will start to talk so in the mornings you just set and listen they will tell you where the den is in the morning . It takes about 30 minutes for them to talk again here so if you need to get them to talk again move in closer then after 45 minutes or so just howl once and they will often answer you back if mom and dad aren't there to keep them quiet . In my area they will start to pup the end of April as that is when the other young of the year start to appear .

A good friend and mentor in life told me long ago. "If you are going to do something do it right the first time, if not you just as well go (do something to yourself......) cause you'll get more out of that! Lol. I've passed that knowledge on to several deserving of that lol.