Ramblings and Such From Hunting Coyote

Gunpowder , I'm glad you have a generator that helps a lot . We have over 16" now when it clears the air craft will have good coyote hunting for sure but the guys on the ground will need snow machines just to get around . The coyote should stand out good on the snow cover . A person will need some good eye wear to keep from getting snow blind . It is heavy wet snow here so it is posable that the coyote and other pawed critters will be able to walk on top of it while the hoofed critters will fall through and have a hard time getting around .

Power's back on already, I'm not sure how because it's still nasty out. Generator wasn't running that great until I figured out the throttle self-adjuster cable was iced up and not allowing it to compensate for varying loads.

That's good insight on the hunting in the near future. I don't even know what we got for snow, I waded through drifts hip high and other areas you can see the lawn grass. These type of days make me feel like reloading, and maybe target shoot from the br window lol. Gotta have an understanding family to pull that one off.

Reemty , you may want to do the two howls , two barks , one howl then wait a couple of minutes and do it again for up to 20 minutes on that pair . If they are quite a long ways off they should talk then when they start to come in they will stop talking to you so then I stop talking to them as well . Pretty much the same as last year . I don't like to be aggressive this time of the year with them so that I can get them to come in slower and observe them when I can to be selective and also to learn how they are reacting . Often when I know where they are pretty much I won't get very close and will try to get them to come to me from a distance so that I have time on my side and get them to talk so I know for sure where they are . I've had the female talk to me most all the way in at times . We ended up with 20 " of snow that settled to 16" but it's snowing again and the interstate is closed from Denver north to Kay cee Wy. with 15 mph wind they are saying it will be open with in 24 hours now . Good luck and for sure enjoy the hunt .

When you get them to talk to you listen to what they say and reply the same as what they say to you . keep your note pad and pencil handy ( pencil doesn't smear when it gets wet ) and after the shooting stops make your rough log about what they said to you like what howls did they use short sharp , long half howls . Did they bark first ,how many barks then howl what sequence did they use barks then howls or howls then barks . As time goes on you will then have a memory written so that you can compare these notes and start piecing together what it was they said to you when ,where and why that will help you to know what you want to say ,when , where and why you want to use the sounds you you will be using .

I transfer my rough notes to a smooth log when I get home just in case some thing happens to my field log and have found that it helps my memory to keep the logs . I like to keep track of the date so I can know what time of the year they are saying what and how they are reacting to what I've said to them , did they answer fast , take a while to answer , did they come in and how did they come in this all adds up over time to tell you what you need to know for what time frame you are doing as for calling and for what reason you are doing it . Am I out for their fur in the winter and late fall or do I need to take a denning pair for some reason . Maybe I need to take some that have older pups in late summer and they aren't staying in one tight area . Or is it in the fall when the pups are starting to go out on their own but don't react well to coyote vocalizations just yet , at least to aggressive ones .

The snow is melting off and the mud is deep it's a bad time to get out and about . Most people don't want you to be out on their place now cutting ruts ect. . They themselves don't get out except to feed and check calves . Quite a few around here still use horses to check their stock so that they can get around all the pastures and not tear up the roads and get their feeding done early while the ground is frozen . They respect the land and animals that make their livings for them and I do as well to show respect for them . We have visited and have an understanding that I will not be out their making a mess of their property and I don't bring any body with me without them knowing first as well as do most people . As I'm out and about if I find something out of place they are contacted and informed of it , a broken gate , fence down , dead or sick stock , a wind mill broken ect. . I have rebuilt gates that the gate stick broke when I opened them and regularly have fixed some fence that was down mostly because it's the right way for me to be as well as I still enjoy doing it from when I was a kid . Lambing in the pastures for the most part will start in mid May so as to miss the spring storms but I'm thinking that a lot of sheep piled up against the fences drifting in and died in this storm . Farming and ranching is a hard life for the small guys and I try hard to help them to the best of my abilities and not be a pain in their back sides by thinking about what I do before I do it so that I have a good idea of what the out come of my actions will be for them . Having grown up with it I have a head start on those that didn't .

The snow is melting off and the mud is deep it's a bad time to get out and about . Most people don't want you to be out on their place now cutting ruts ect. . They themselves don't get out except to feed and check calves . Quite a few around here still use horses to check their stock so that they can get around all the pastures and not tear up the roads and get their feeding done early while the ground is frozen . They respect the land and animals that make their livings for them and I do as well to show respect for them . We have visited and have an understanding that I will not be out their making a mess of their property and I don't bring any body with me without them knowing first as well as do most people . As I'm out and about if I find something out of place they are contacted and informed of it , a broken gate , fence down , dead or sick stock , a wind mill broken ect. . I have rebuilt gates that the gate stick broke when I opened them and regularly have fixed some fence that was down mostly because it's the right way for me to be as well as I still enjoy doing it from when I was a kid . Lambing in the pastures for the most part will start in mid May so as to miss the spring storms but I'm thinking that a lot of sheep piled up against the fences drifting in and died in this storm . Farming and ranching is a hard life for the small guys and I try hard to help them to the best of my abilities and not be a pain in their back sides by thinking about what I do before I do it so that I have a good idea of what the out come of my actions will be for them . Having grown up with it I have a head start on those that didn't .
If the weather wasn't a factor, how would you approach calling coyotes right now, in the middle of their gestation?

Very, very good advice! We MUST be good stewards towards the landowners. Always remember that our actions afield directly reflect upon us as people. I also grew up/was raised this way and is just second nature but some/most just don't get it.

I use a GPS mapping program called "onX" that I'm sure most of you are familiar with. When I find an issue, I call and then send pictures including the satellite pic. Some of the property owners I have done this with have downloaded onX themselves and use it to help manage their properties.

One of them even periodically sends me spots where he has recently seen coyotes while out driving around.

Here is an example:

Attachments

• Resized_Screenshot_20210206-175350_onX_Hunt.jpeg
    Resized_Screenshot_20210206-175350_onX_Hunt.jpeg
    297.4 KB · Views: 58
  • Resized_20210206_172510.jpeg
    Resized_20210206_172510.jpeg
    627.7 KB · Views: 57
This is the time of the year that I want to be selective in my coyote control , I'm not there to just kill coyote for fun I'm there to control coyote that are problems and that usually involves a pair that are going to have pups so are messing with livestock of some sort . I don't use my e-caller much this time of the year just for that reason . I will use hand calls that make good coyote vocalizations that are kind of higher pitched so will be more like a female coyote then a male . I don't get aggressive with my calls as I want them to not respond aggressively I prefer for them to answer me then work their way in to me . The reason for the hand calls vrs the e-call this time of the year is so that I can duplicate what they say and do it fast as well as do injured coyote sounds right after the shot on the first one that's just the way I learned to do it and it works for me . I have covered many times the calls that I start out with this time of the year . A lone howl wait a few min. and repeat wait a few min., then start with two howls , two barks and one howl wait a few min. and do it over again and again , that's what works for me I some times take up to twenty min. for them to talk and this time of year they may just come and set where they can watch my location . A bred female will have a bigger belly and is what I want this time of the year as well as are normally smaller in stature , again I'm there to solve problems not cause myself more work so I try to take the reason for most of the problems coyote cause and that's that they are trying to raise a family the same as me . I have no hate for them , I actually have a lot of admiration for them and the roll that both parents play in raising their pups thus I take mostly ones that cause problems this time of the year and leave the ones alone that don't because the one's that replace the ones I kill that aren't causing problems may be real trouble makers and harder to deal with . If they aren't killing I let them go till their fur is good in the late fall as I have enough trouble makers to keep me busy all summer long and they are a lot of times made by well meaning people that just don't understand the consequences of their actions .

This is the time of the year that I want to be selective in my coyote control , I'm not there to just kill coyote for fun I'm there to control coyote that are problems and that usually involves a pair that are going to have pups so are messing with livestock of some sort . I don't use my e-caller much this time of the year just for that reason . I will use hand calls that make good coyote vocalizations that are kind of higher pitched so will be more like a female coyote then a male . I don't get aggressive with my calls as I want them to not respond aggressively I prefer for them to answer me then work their way in to me . The reason for the hand calls vrs the e-call this time of the year is so that I can duplicate what they say and do it fast as well as do injured coyote sounds right after the shot on the first one that's just the way I learned to do it and it works for me . I have covered many times the calls that I start out with this time of the year . A lone howl wait a few min. and repeat wait a few min., then start with two howls , two barks and one howl wait a few min. and do it over again and again , that's what works for me I some times take up to twenty min. for them to talk and this time of year they may just come and set where they can watch my location . A bred female will have a bigger belly and is what I want this time of the year as well as are normally smaller in stature , again I'm there to solve problems not cause myself more work so I try to take the reason for most of the problems coyote cause and that's that they are trying to raise a family the same as me . I have no hate for them , I actually have a lot of admiration for them and the roll that both parents play in raising their pups thus I take mostly ones that cause problems this time of the year and leave the ones alone that don't because the one's that replace the ones I kill that aren't causing problems may be real trouble makers and harder to deal with . If they aren't killing I let them go till their fur is good in the late fall as I have enough trouble makers to keep me busy all summer long and they are a lot of times made by well meaning people that just don't understand the consequences of their actions .
Is there a hand call howler that you recommend? I've looked at several but the..... maybe 3 I've bought sound like crap to my ears. I've gotten responses with them periodically, but none of them were convincing enough to bring any in, at least any that I could see. I have been trying to get decent with a howling diaphragm, but I'm still not there.