Ramblings and Such From Hunting Coyote

Li'l dog by Primos is great in the spring
Higher pitched for female sounds and great for challenge calls invading a pairs territory. My go to call in March.
I've got a little dog and big dog, and the little dog isn't bad. I can get some decent howls out of it sometimes, but the big dog is trash. It sounds like a kazoo about half the time. It pitch breaks way too easily

I was looking around on one of the ky hunting forums and a guy posted a photo of a litter of coyote pups he found. There were five of them, their eyes weren't open yet. He found them in the base of a hollow tree after the bitch ran out. He went back the next day and she had moved them.

I didn't think they were born here until late April early May.

I was looking around on one of the ky hunting forums and a guy posted a photo of a litter of coyote pups he found. There were five of them, their eyes weren't open yet. He found them in the base of a hollow tree after the bitch ran out. He went back the next day and she had moved them.

I didn't think they were born here until late April early May.
That sounds so early. I also thought they just started dropping them mid April. We did have a few 70° days in the end of January though, (I'm in TN), and I thought they had started breeding early.

The little dog calls are good . No Straight shooter I retired from it I got too old and beat up after 36 1/2 years of it I just screw up and talk like I still am some times and wish I could still be there doing it more . Just when I get a call from some old friends that I 've worked for and their regular guy is having a hard time with them . But then I know the guy real well that took my place and run with him some times as well . He still calls me when he's got a hard one to deal with as well . We work well together as we think alike . I gave him the 6.5x284 I built when I turned it over to him it ran 8" groups at 1000 yards with the 120 gr Nosler boat tail ballistic tips and 3.5 "groups at 600 yards . You should open them up and look at their uterus to see if they are going to pup or have had pups . That has also been explained here by me . I took a red fox den here on the 3rd of march once and a coyote den the 8th of April . I don't think either of them were more then a couple of days old at the time . It is normally the older females that pup early from the logs I kept it shows that kind of info over the years . Reemty I tried the gigalo thing a couple of times they ran out on me without paying their tab .

On
I've got a little dog and big dog, and the little dog isn't bad. I can get some decent howls out of it sometimes, but the big dog is trash. It sounds like a kazoo about half the time. It pitch breaks way too easily
The big dog, take the tube off and try it that way. DSheetz recommended that to me and it made a world of difference for me anyway. I thought the same thing as you before I took it off.

Great advice all around but I especially can appreciate the tips on how to treat the land and landowners. I came from a ranch background. Honestly we didn't have a bunch of land that was sought after for hunting but I can remember it wasn't Dad's favorite thing to be asked to hunt. He'd just rather not be bothered about it, but also as some were friends he hated saying no. I think that is always in the back of my mind when I'm looking for permission to hunt. Ranchers all have different personalities just like a cross section of any other demographic, and some like to chat about hunting, some like a helping hand and some don't, some want you to stay 1/2 mile from their stock and some aren't worried about it. I literally had one guy many years ago say that if I shot a cow by mistake to come and tell him, don't try and hide it or he'd come after me lol.

Another thing I think helps alot with the land is using small atv's, utv's instead of big heavy trucks. These sandhills are easily tracked up and if you make a rut on a hillside it may start a mini ravine as the water flows. With my quieted down RZR with big tires it barely leaves a trace you were there and I like that alot. Carrying a few fencing essentials and knowing how to use them if needed like Dave said will gain you some points and credibility with ranchers also. Funny, I didn't inherit the cowboy gene but I did enjoy going around the fences in the spring. I was taught that a couple days squaring things away in the spring would save you many hours and headaches all summer long.