Questions about building a 1000 yard gun

"Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 1. How would you rechamber a short-action rifle to a long-action caliber without it being a complete pain in the ***? There is a tool called a chamber reamer that will ream the barrel to the specified caliber of choice! As for it being a short action, I shoot a Savage that I helped to build in 338 Lapua on a Savage Target Action that feeds quite well as it is a single shot action. The only time you have to pull the bolt is to eject a loaded round. So a fired 30-06 casing would eject with absolutely no problems from a short action Savage, Howa, Weatherby, Winchester, and maybe a Remington after firing. However I did notice that Remington's have a much shorter short action than that of a Savage, Weatherby, Winchester or Howa short action.

2. Why the .300 WM for 300 yard deer shooting, when I can kill deer at 200 yards with a .17 Rem Fireball? That's overkill. How many people use a .17 FB to kill deer... you as far as I know. How many people use 300WM to kill deer and paper from 1yd to 1000yds... probably in the millions if I had to take an estimated guess. The 300WM is probably one of the most popular hunting calibers from the Atlantic to the Pacific since its inception in 1963. So... in the case of a paper puncher and a deer rifle to 300yds, makes perfect sense! As for the .17 FB... to each his own I say!

3. 6mmBR over a .308 Win? Barrel life won't be anywhere near comparable, and the 6mm is a .243 caliber bullet...Which is not what I would pick for hunting over the .308... I would tell him to pick a .257 Roberts or 7mm-08, or .260 Rem over the 6mmBR for hunting. The 6.5-284 would also make a great option, as Berger makes the 140 VLD's, and Lapua makes brass for it. Though I won't disagree with the calibers you have chosen, the 6BR makes perfect sense. It has better barrel life than the .308. Now I know its hard for you to wrap your head around something better than the .308. (I have 2!) But do some research and you'll see that the 6BR and its variants dominate benchrest. The standard BR has a smaller powder column, and longer neck giving it inherent accuracy and long barrel life. You'll also find that the .243 caliber bullet is very capable of taking deer and antelope size game well in excess of 600yds. Even with the .308 or any rifle caliber (i.e. .17FB), shot placement is essential.

None of your post makes any sense... As you can see, it all makes perfect sense. You have a lot to learn yet!

Also, the .308 Win will make him a better shooter. (Not necessarily)The .308 Win is the best training caliber there is for 1K,(Many trained marksman will argue this and say there are better calibers. The military only use them because they don't deal with change very well. It was developed at a time when 30 caliber was King) because it teaches him drop, windage, and flight times (Try a 22LR, does the same thing... you could also do that with your .17FB). It also has low recoil (Compared to what! a 22LR, 17FB, Bazooka!), uses less powder (So does the 6BR and accomplishes the same thing), is an easy caliber to load for,(So is the 30-06, 270, 7RM, loaded all of them in three powder weights at a set bullet length) and has great barrel life.(No argument from me)"

Pay attention to the facts posted next to the comments!:cool:

Hey MR2005 - This is the 1st and only sarcastic comment I've seen from 'LilTank - I'd take it with a grain 'o salt. That said, even though outta character, it is a bit condescending....

Whassup 'LilTank?!@?!@ :D

As regards the topic-du-jour, I believe for the OP's purposes, the humble .308Win can accomplish what is looking to be accomplished. However, he said .30-'06 and not .308Win. Though .308 was mentioned, I believe he was speaking strictly in terms of bore and not cartridge.

In any event, it looks like the OP has "left the building"!:D

[/I]

Hey MR2005 - This is the 1st and only sarcastic comment I've seen from 'LilTank - I'd take it with a grain 'o salt. That said, even though outta character, it is a bit condescending....

It was one of those posts that just made me get a wild hair up my posterior end and felt the need to speak. Should have kept my fingers shut!:D Anyways, I kissed and made up. Kumebiya was sung by all, and beers passed. It's all good in the hood. Thanks for taking notice about my only sarcastic remark!:rolleyes: Little embarrassed really... to be honest.

[/I]

As regards the topic-du-jour, I believe for the OP's purposes, the humble .308Win can accomplish what is looking to be accomplished. However, he said .30-'06 and not .308Win. Though .308 was mentioned, I believe he was speaking strictly in terms of bore and not cartridge.

In any event, it looks like the OP has "left the building"!:D

It's all good man. Me and Tank got things squared away. We're back to being friends again. :) I was kind of taken aback at first, too...Cause I've never seen him get ill before. Then we started talking via PM afterwards, and figured out we were actually pretty close to being on the same page. So, it's all good now. Tank's a great guy, he's helped me alot over the years with info. So, everybody's cool.

How bout it! Now I really feel like crap! Thanks for the reminder. Sometimes you need a fellow believer to point it out and remind you.

:). I'm sorry. I didn't mean to point it out as a point. I sincerely meant I like it. My memory is too short to remember the whole bible , but I love being reminded of great verses I have forgotten. That's all I meant. Sorry if I came across wrong. My wife claims I'm too blunt for my own good, I guess I am sometimes.

The gun will have to be a compromise towards one side or the other. It's easy for guys that shoot a lot to get right to what is competitive at 1000 yards, whereas it sounds more like you are looking for an accurized deer rifle that can be shot for fun out to 1000 yards every once in awhile. It also sounds like you don't reload, which will be severely limiting in any rifle, as soft point deer loads aren't going to be accurate to long distances.

If you're unwilling to reload, I would definitely go with .308 simply due to the availability of match ammunition. If you do reload, and are partial to .30-06, I think it will be sufficient for what you want, but you will be using different bullets and powders and prepping the cases differently, so there really isn't much carry over.

A few articles on this gun may give you some direction:

1,000 Yard Rifle for $945: Confirmed | The Truth About Guns

The 300 wsm has great balistics and with the 150 gn accubond has great coeficent. You can get it inthe Whetherby vangard for around 500.00 but will probably want to change the triger to a timney so you can get it down to around 2 pounds. Then put a burris eleminator 3 on it they run around 1500.00. We are shooting hogs at1000 yards + with this setup. All said and done for about 2000.00 dollars. But are loading our own rounds.

He said his limit was $1000 though.

I agree that if not reloading a 308 would be best just because the availability of match grade ammo that there is. One brand is bound to shoot pretty decent if you tried enough of them.

Hard to beat a savage in that price range.

Nope. Just watching the thread turn into a 'Caliber Recommendation' thread. :rolleyes:

I say go for your original plan. I'm a big Savage fan but those TC's are no slouch either.

I think Harry puts it best ...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVlYMctb7Y4]Harry Callahan's opinion on opinions - YouTube[/ame]

:):D:rolleyes::cool:gun)

Good luck on your endeavor and happy safe shooting/hunting.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.