Question on Proof Barrels

GLTaylor

My next project will be a 6.5 Sherman Max. I've been reading about all these light wt builds many of you are doing. I plan on a carbon fiber stock and had thought to go with a Proof CF barrel.
I recently read (and now can't find) some comments made about QC issues Proof may be having lately.
THIS IS NOT ABOUT BASHING PROOF! They are the only brand of barrel I have not personally used. I understand that Bartlein has begun making CF wrapped barrels. Have read nothing about their new barrels. I have several standard steel Bartlein barrels and love them.
My gunsmith is very high on Proof bbls and recommends them to everyone. He's had very good results with them over the last 2 years.
Are there any issues with current manufacture Proof bbls? If so what are they in your experience and are they the pre-fits or standard barrels?
Thanks for replys to this long question

I bought two barrel blanks from proof research for my 65 284 and then they were very good I have no complaints at all just about ready to order my third
B0EC54F6-170B-4729-ADFF-D45E0AC06B16.jpeg
42283B9C-198D-42C4-B299-68CF24EEB1D1.jpeg

I purchased a 26" c.f. sendero lite for a 65284 build...
Definitely puts weight out front.....diameter still isn't very narrow...
If i had it to do over again...
Think I would try one of the tapered bartleins that are now out to public....or stick with a narrow steel barrel....

A friend and I are building a pair of 6.5 max on Tikka long actions. Using 26" bartlein #13 carbon barrels. They're going into xlr element 3.0 magnesium folding chassis. I've used quite a few proof barrels and have had no accuracy problems. The problems in question are usually related to them being slow, then all a sudden spiking pressure. I know of a few that have been replaced, none mine. I have a 7max on a proof barrel that's a bit slower than expected, but maybe the coolaid just isn't as sweet at people advertise it. I'm going to see how these bartleins shoot and if they're good that's probably what I'll run.

A CF barrel is lighter than a steel varmint or comparable contour but you can get a lighter steel barrel in the ~ 0.700" to 0.660" range and it will be lighter, even less if you flute it.
A 28" Proof 30 cal Carbon Sendero weighs 3lbs 5oz
A 28" Proof 30 cal med Sporter steel .620 weighs 3lbs 9 ozs.
I've shot 3 or 4 of there Carbons all have shot great but that being said none in the last couple years. I've also had 4 of there steel barrels spun on in the last couple years and another as we speak and all have shot great.

If he will warranty the barrel if it's a bad one then go for it. I am one of the guys who has had a few bad ones and am going away from proof. I also have a Bartlien carbon that I am going to be trying soon. But give me a #3 or #3b fluted and you will have lots of options. If you ever want to go away from a proof sendero you are kinda stuck. Or have your barrel channel filled back in by the gunsmith.

I agree with Bill & JMW above plus the numerous Positive reviews on Proof CF barrels. I have a 7mm mag rifle with a Proof barrel blank that was chambered with a reamer for my favorite ammo. I'm sure it can do better than my .3MOA groups. I will soon have a prefit Proof barrel on my 300 PRC with a BigHorn SR3. After going to the range and hearing praise for the prefit Proof barrels and seeing the results, I'm in. I Have one Bartlein SS barreled rifle and couldn't be happier, but I know that there are several other A+ SS & CMS barrels out there.

No doubt Proofs have been excellent in the last couple of years. My smith has several customers who are shooting ragged holes - hence my interest for the next project.
A couple of people posted something about recent Proof barrel experiences just a couple of days ago. I inadvertently deleted the post. That's the reason for my question that started this post. I don't have their names to ask them directly. Not trying to start a sh??? Storm. One of the folks said he was not using them anymore til he saw how things progressed.🤔

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.