Proof barrels

NZ Longranger

Anyone shot out and sectioned a Proof carbon Sendero or Sendero Light contour barrel? I need to know how much the stainless steel steps down at the chamber end where the carbon starts, so I can work out how close I can run my chamber shoulder to this point. Proof are being coy with me on this. I don't want to know the whole SS liner dimensions - I'm not in the slightest bit interested in trying to copy a Proof or any other carbon barrel. I just need to know how much it steps down from the 1.200" OD at this point!

Well, people chamber them in .30-378 Weatherby, .338 Edge, .338 LM, etc. so unless you are building something like a .408 Cheytec or .50 BMG, you should be good.

Nup, chambering in something based on a Bertram long Lapua case which could be anything up to 3.050" long depending on how deep I run the reamer in. That's why I need to know how much the SS steps down!

Nup, chambering in something based on a Bertram long Lapua case which could be anything up to 3.050" long depending on how deep I run the reamer in. That's why I need to know how much the SS steps down!
I started a thread a bit ago on this case and got no feedback. Can you give me any insight on this long Lapua case and if anybody makes a reamer for it or has prints. Thanks!

There's several chamberings based on Bruce Bertram's Brass, and then a similar one made for David Tubb by Peterson as well. The original was Kirby's 338 Raptor with the Bertram brass, then a guy in Aussie is doing one similar called the High Country Magnum. You can find a chamber drawing online for Davids version, called the 33XC. But this isn't helping me find out how much the SS steps down on a Proof barrel! Someone must have shot out a Proof barrel that could be sectioned or have the carbon ground off to see?

Ever consider Carbon Six. Better prices and when I spoke with them, they were very forth coming.

I have been interested in the raptor/lapua long case myself. Will you be building a 30cal or 338? I also have a proof sendero 1.200 CF barrel that's done, and I'm willing to donate to the cause. Not sure if it tapers off different from the 1.250 barrel but it will give you an idea.

I'm pretty sure the step down from the shank is pretty abrupt. I wouldn't count on a bunch of steel in front of the shank when the carbon starts.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts