Question on cleaning up old ammo

I've done this lots of times. Pistol, flat nose, spitzers, lots of different ammo with no ill effects or catastrophes. It's also NOT dangerous contrary to popular belief. There are a lot of studies out there proving this. Same studies also show that there is almost no break down of powder.
Thank you!

This may freak folks out but I've successfully tumbled ammo in a vibratory tumbler with corn cob media. Lots of media not so many rounds
A gun writer from Wyoming named Bob Milek mentioned tumbling handloads. He always said that this is what I do, but I'm not saying that that's what you should do.

OH< and if you really want to find ammo for it, if you go to some Vintage ammo web sites you will find plenty, but it won';t be cheap
, that is if you cannot find in more modern ammo sites!

this place seems to have some

and I would make sure your rifle is OK with smokeless powder and not need to use black powder, before shooting any ammo you have or get!

a few pic of some other older .32 calibers , not what your looking for, but just saying there's a bunch of calibers out there that fall into the vintage line up, and can be had if you look!

I have handy! and I also have some of the rem .32auto loading ammo! different animals HAHA!
Those are collectables boxes of ammo. I wouldn't do anything with them except show them off as a collection. If you don't want to display them somebody else would. Some times I come across old boxes of ammo. I collect them and display them. I feel that somebody will make you an offer on them here of Ebay.

Quickest way to clean old ammo, For a small batch 1 cup white vinegar then add table salt to it until it quits disolving, I place the ammo in a cheap plastic bowl and swirl the ammo in the solution, 30 to 45 seconds usually is enough time, rinse in tap water and towel dry, I mixed up a quart over 20 years ago and in still using it,

How do you think the manufacturers clean after the brass is loaded at the factory??

With a huge vibratory tumbler. That is also what I do as well as @TennJed. I have been doing it for decades.

I sure hope no one soaks their cartridges in white vinegar and salt solution.

The story I read years ago was that a few cops found out the hard way not to use WD-40 on ammo. It worked great for cleaning guns, but the WD-40 can creep in and kill the primer. I cleaned my brass with WD-40 once and it worked really great. When I pulled the trigger on an elk that stopped for a second, all I got was a click. Dead primer. Unless the ammo is blue-green, I wouldn't bother cleaning it other than wiping it lightly.

I put a bunch of brass in my tumbler. I came back took it out cleaned and wiped cases down making sure to get media out of flash holes. I found a primed piece of brass. I still don't know if it got mixed up or if there is a bullet and powder in my tumbler

Thanks

Buck

I think there are a number of suggestions here that may be perfectly fine to clean up ammo for display in a collection, but not necessarily smart at all for ammo one hopes to shoot. It would be good if folks would specify the difference.
Knowing what WD40 does for stuck bolts and such, I would never turn it loose on my powder and primers.
Best of luck,
Rex

I think there are a number of suggestions here that may be perfectly fine to clean up ammo for display in a collection, but not necessarily smart at all for ammo one hopes to shoot. It would be good if folks would specify the difference.
Knowing what WD40 does for stuck bolts and such, I would never turn it loose on my powder and primers.
Best of luck,
Rex
Thank you Rex - that is an excellent point!!! I was hoping to clean up the ammo so I could shoot it. It looks ok no dents , primers look good. The ammo is discolored- green/blue stains.

Thank you Rex - that is an excellent point!!! I was hoping to clean up the ammo so I could shoot it. It looks ok no dents , primers look good. The ammo is discolored- green/blue stains.
Then I would say that if it'll chamber you can probably shoot it as is.
I'd pull the bullet on least one cartridge and check if the powder is still viable, then chamber that case with primer and see if the primer goes bang. If both are a yes - fire away the remainder.
Rex

Then I would say that if it'll chamber you can probably shoot it as is.
I'd pull the bullet on least one cartridge and check if the powder is still viable, then chamber that case with primer and see if the primer goes bang. If both are a yes - fire away the remainder.
Rex
Thanks...I thought I'd try 100% dry alcohol which I use to clean my die occasionally. It worked without any issues. Just a light spray on a old cloth and it took 98% of the discolored corrosion off the ammo.