Question on cleaning up old ammo

BirdDog50

Just inherited an old Winchester 32 Special which is in nice condition with unfortunately only 1 box of ammo ( ofcourse can't find any for sale) but this ammo is discolored and has very light corrosion coloring...any suggestions on how to best clean it up? Thanks

Flitz metal polish and a chunk off an old cotton flannel shirt. Starline has 32 Winchester Special brass, just pay for it and wait a little, they'll get em to ya, fifty -three cents each.

Cut an old sock into 3 equal pieces, (cotton) spray one piece with wd40but not dripping wet , then wipe your brass and let it sit 5 minutes then use some fine steel wool and shine it up , if once treatment doesn't do it reapply,when done wipe off the wd40 film,and dry with another piece off sock ,store wd40 stock piece in a sealed ziplock plastic bag .

OK just throwing this out there
but decades ago, folks coming home from WWII used to bring home 50 bmg and other LIVE rounds, and it has happened, that some folks when polishing things, causes static electricity and caused powder to ignite!
and was recommend to NOT polish LIVE brass ammo!
then on the flip side I have known folks that stuck live ammo in a tumbles to clean them and never had an issue

SO< be advised there are risks to some things when cleaning up old or new live ammo!

OH< and if you really want to find ammo for it, if you go to some Vintage ammo web sites you will find plenty, but it won';t be cheap
, that is if you cannot find in more modern ammo sites!

this place seems to have some

and I would make sure your rifle is OK with smokeless powder and not need to use black powder, before shooting any ammo you have or get!

a few pic of some other older .32 calibers , not what your looking for, but just saying there's a bunch of calibers out there that fall into the vintage line up, and can be had if you look!

I have handy! and I also have some of the rem .32auto loading ammo! different animals HAHA!

Attachments

• old ammo 2020 014.JPG
    old ammo 2020 014.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 51
  • old ammo pic's 048.JPG
    old ammo pic's 048.JPG
    509.4 KB · Views: 51
  • old ammo pic's 093.JPG
    old ammo pic's 093.JPG
    821.7 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
I use 0000 steel wool or some metal polishing compound which makes them really shine.

For those type chores, I use a Stainless-Steel Sponge, which is available on Amazon.
I learned about them from using a stainless-steel sponge from AMWAY which is a more expensive item, but same thing. Also available on Amazon.
But those listed first work just as well. I have even polished blued surfaces with them (either make).
Also, while cleaning these cartridges, hold 'em next to your ear and shake to hear if the powder is still loose or has caked up from age. If it's caked, it may make a difference in ignition/performance.

Last edited:
This may freak folks out but I've successfully tumbled ammo in a vibratory tumbler with corn cob media. Lots of media not so many rounds
I've done this lots of times. Pistol, flat nose, spitzers, lots of different ammo with no ill effects or catastrophes. It's also NOT dangerous contrary to popular belief. There are a lot of studies out there proving this. Same studies also show that there is almost no break down of powder.