Question about building on a Interarms Mark X action

G

I picked one of these up at the local pawn shop for next to nothing , I was thinking about building on it but had some questions first.
does this action use the same componets as the M98 Mauser , like the trigger and stock
and can it be fitted with a prefit barrel made for the M98?

I have several rifles built on the '98 actions and the Mark X is really similar. You should have no trouble fitting a barrel or after market trigger on the Mark X.You may want to specify what you have to your barrel maker. I have a 300/338 RUM on a Mark X action and it shoots great!

Have you had any success with your build? I'm also considering using my Mark X as a custom build project but don't know where to start. I'm going to keep it in 30-06 and will probably start with the barrel. Unfortunately, I don't know of a good armorer in my local area so any work will have to be shipped out. Do you have any recommendations?

The Mark X is a large ring mauser just like the 98 mauser is a large ring. Any prefit barrel intended for a large ring mauser will fit either the 98 or the Mark X. If you have trouble finding the chambering, barrel profile, and twist that you are looking for in a prefit barrel, you can simply purchase a contoured blank with the desired features and have it threaded and chambered. Final cost will be about the same.

In terms of parts compatibility, there are some differences between a Mark X and a 98 mauser, though most parts manufacturers will not make a distinction. The Mark X uses different scope mounts, uses a trigger with a side safety, and has different bottom metal. The different bottom metal will mainly have an effect on stock inletting. For instance, the B&C Medalist stocks with aluminum bedding blocks are inletted for commercial bottom metal. The Boyd's laminated stocks are inletted for military bottom metal.

In comparison to a military surplus action, the Mark X's need very little gunsmithing work done to them. Send the action to a smith of your choice, have the bolt locking lugs lapped, the bolt face and receiver trued, barrel installed and headspaced, and the desired finish applied. When you receive the barreled action, drop it in a stock (glass bed, if desired), mount your scope and go shooting.

For barrel and action work, I recommend Mark Skaggs. Here is a link to his website:

Skaggs Gunsmithing

If you follow the above prescription, you will end up with a good, solid, working rifle at reasonable cost. If you desire a full custom, that is a different ball game.

I had a 375 H and H Interarms Mark X given to me. Decided to build a heavy LR rifle after seeing how long the magazine was. First barrel (shown in pic) was a #7 Lilja SS chamber for 7 rem mag.
Stock trigger was reworked to just under 1 lb. The stock is made by Joel Russo.

McMillan makes a nice sporter stock for Mark Xs.

Near Mfg makes a picatinny rail Near Manufacturing - Rifle Scope Bases

As a 7 Rem mag it shot 180 VLDs wonderfully. Lots of seating depth room with this package. Unfortunately the twist was too fast at 1 in 7 and at round count 225 or so it ate both hunting and target VLDs. The barrel is being rebored to .338. Soon I will be recieving the new chambered barrel. The new package will be using a long throated .338 RCM set up for shooting 300 gr bullets. Testing with a short barreled package has be knowing that the 29" barrel will achieve 2600-2650 fps.

Enjoy building your new rifle.

Heavy7RemMag003.jpg

Heavy7RemMag005.jpg

Heavy7RemMag007.jpg

the one and only drawback i have with my interarms 7mm rem mag is the magazine doesnt allow you to seat the bullets out very far. my lands are at 3.496 and my magazine is only 3.410. i am still in the process of finding my sweet spot for bullet jump but do not want to barney fife it.

the mark X action is strong and can be used for most rifle calibers- however ther are two models the regular and the Whitworth.. the W is a very very good action. I have both the regular is in a 416 Taylor and it will function perfect- the other whitworth is in a 35 gibbs wildcat the same as a 35 Brown Whelen and I use high pressure loads and it is great. how strong well I shoot a 400 grain bullet in the 416 @ 2410 no problems even at 90% tempature.. another their triggers are also ver good if it is the adjustable one.

My first scoped hunting rifle was a Mark X Viscount 30-06 and it shot super good as long as you took your time and did not let the barrel get too hot. Trouble that I had was the factory stock. Even with free floating a glassing with change of humidity and temperatures the fore end wanted to warp and change POI. This was a loooooog time ago before ease of replacement stocks could be had. I sold the rifle and bought a Rem. Sportsman 78 (poor mans Rem. 700) in 30-06 that also shot really well but because of the design of the stock it KICKED LIKE A MULE. B&C came out with a composite stock a few years later and I got one. First shot after stock replacement I though I had light loaded the round there was so much difference in the felt recoil.
Over the past 40+ years I have seen some really nice shooting hunting rifles that are either factory or custom on Mark X actions. I replaced a non adjustable trigger for a buddies Mark X and used a standard M-98 Mauser trigger that hand the slide safety. I only had to remove just a little wood because the previous trigger had a slide safety also but the new Bold brand triggers safety was a little different design.
Mauser actions in general make good HUNTING rifles. But the lock time is so slow that they don't make good precision rifles.

I built a 25-06 Ackley Improved with a Mark-X action. It was one of the most accurate rifles I have ever owned. A lot of coyotes went to the light because of that rifle.

yes, lock time is a little slow but it is not a problem unless you are shooting competative for targets. for hunting they are just fine.. My most accurate rifle in my life was a voere on a comerical 98 action with an adjustable trigger that came on the rifle.it had a federal barrel in 6.5/06 and it cost me 37.oo dollars in 1975. now i have the same on a 1968 model 700 action with a 25 " Shaw medium wt and it will not shoot quite as accurate but better than the shooter. as for the Mark X if you plan to hunt and keep the gun it is great, but if you want to invest not a good idea.

you cannot do much better than the commerical 98 actions of which is the mark X. However i have a Butler creek stock for the 98 comericals and it is one of the best stocks I have ever owned. even better than the remington 700 syn. stocks. again I am a hunter not a target guy and anyone who shoot an animal over 250 yards is not a sportsman. any gun that go bang will kill a wolf or a cougar. this is what I hunt big wolf 223- huge cat 6mm remington . sent a few of both to the big sky over the hill.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.