Questions about building a Savage LA

skookum

I have a Savage 110 30-06 and was wondering if i could build it into a variation of the .338 mag and what my limitations would be with that, or if the action would even be safe to use for this conversion. Does savage have a magnum specific action or are all the Long actions the same? I new to the rifle building if these questions haven't given me away. This wont be an immediate build just something to look into in the future, all these guys asking about their rifles got me thinking. i appreciate any input you guys can offer. Happy Hunting.

Skookum

Yes, you will be able to use that action. You will have to switch out the bolt head to a mag bolt head. The mag well and follower will have to be changed as well.

A good resource for savage info is savage shooters.com.

Hope this helps.

Scrubs nailed it.

If this is one of the older flat bridge, staggerfeed actions here are the Brownells and factory part numbers for the mag box and follower.

Magnum Follower, Brownells #855-000-200 Factory #102981 $10.
Magnum mag box, Brownells #855-000-042 Factory #100192 $10.

I appreciate the input, i believe it is one of the older models, i bought it brand new about 8 or 9 years ago, it was before the accu-trigger came out. I just bought a new custom rifle so this will just be the next thing i do down the riad most likely, just wanted to know what my options were. I am thinking the lapua or the RUM for cost, that or i will have to go to a reloading class to learn how to form brass.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.