Question about 223 dies

Rilow

new to reloading, have rcbs reloading gear n want to reload for 223 for varmints. I have the rcbs small base ar die set. Want to load for bolt gun a Mossberg MVP can I use the ar die set or should I get the reg 223 die set for that gun? I do have ar guns to just didn't know if should use Two different dies for different style actions. Also any recommendations on powders? Thanks guys can always find answers on here.

My personal experience is use the small base does you have.They will work fine,I have been using them for years with no problem. I load for five 223's with the same does.As far as powder try Benchmark or Varget.

The 223 is very forgiving and that makes it fun to load for. Im rechambering mine as we speak to 223 AI

Small base are used to facilitate round cycling in semiautomatic rifles. I use them for my AR, but I use the standard dies for my grandson's .223 bolt rifle for best results.

They'll work fine and be safe to use in your bolt gun but you may end up over working your brass and their life may suffer because of it. In my experience brass shot in AR style rifles doesn't last nearly as long as brass shot in bolt action rifles for variables besides the types of reloading dies I use (ARs can be hard on rims and shoulders). So I reserve SB dies for reloading for my AR exclusively but I still use my Redding micrometer seater die.

I personally don't love using RCBS dies because of the amount of neck stretch I get compared to the significantly more expensive Redding and Wilson neck dies I have. But the same sort of criticism can be made for the seater die too. The amount of runout I get with an RCBS die versus a great Micrometer Seater die is night and day but the cost isn't even in the same ball park.

So ask yourself how much accuracy are you wanting to get out of the bolt gun? If it's something you are striving for I'd suggest practicing with the RCBS until you are proficient at getting good accuracy with your bolt gun and there is no reason why you can't get good to really good accuracy using RCBS dies. If by then you're really enjoying it, invest in some higher end dies and see how much better your hand loads turn out.

So I guess I can use the sb dies and get started. Also on powder recommendations my bolt gun does have 16in barrel does that come into play with powder choice. I'd like to load Varmint bullets from 50 to 65 grn and looking for accuracy,but like I say I'm new to this so any tips appreciated

My favorite 223 powders are RL 15, Varget and H335. I've gotten really good accuracy with H335 and Nosler 50 grain ballistic tip in my 22" bolt action 223 Rem. I use RL 15 for heavier bullets like 77 gr Custom Competitions. I'd personally start out with faster burning powders with light varmint bullets in a relatively short barrel.

I have some Varget that I could get started with. Got any pet loads? I have some reloading manuals n check out some load data for varget

i would sell the small base dies.
they are needed if using unknown brass for the first time.
not needed to reload brass shot in ONE AR.
NOT NEEDED for the typical bolt gun.
trying to use one set of dies will be a pain and lead to frustration.
replace the sb die with a std die.
buy a second set and set them up for the other rifle.
accurate 2230 hornady 50 vnax 1/2 in one ar, .2 in the custom ar.

For accuracy
Heavy bullets IMR 8208 XBR
Light bullets Benchmark

Blasting ammo easy metering CFE223 not bad accuracy just not as consistantly good as stick powder

I have 10 AR's never needed a small base die yet.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.