Question about custom dies

My 26wssm accuracy load is actually above SAAMI max(slightly). I'll post the QL return on it, which is right on the money.
My die for this is a custom JLC bump die. The improved shoulders on my 26wssm are 35deg and with this I do need to bump shoulders(after the 8th firing). This is no neck sizing, and no body sizing.
I have never used a JLC for neck sizing of any cartridge(I use Wilson for that).

What my 26wssm has proven to me, which fulfilled the very purpose of it, is that chamber specs and a modern cartridge design can mitigate the need for FL sizing.
My next stage is to take the shoulders to 45deg & see if I can remove bumping as well.
I'm just passing on my experience with this, and really I'd think you'd be interested rather than defensive about it.

Attachments

• 26wssm load.jpg
    26wssm load.jpg
    263.3 KB · Views: 88
My 26wssm accuracy load is actually above SAAMI max(slightly). I'll post the QL return on it, which is right on the money.
My die for this is a custom JLC bump die. The improved shoulders on my 26wssm are 35deg and with this I do need to bump shoulders(after the 8th firing). This is no neck sizing, and no body sizing.
I have never used a JLC for neck sizing of any cartridge(I use Wilson for that).

What my 26wssm has proven to me, which fulfilled the very purpose of it, is that chamber specs and a modern cartridge design can mitigate the need for FL sizing.
My next stage is to take the shoulders to 45deg & see if I can remove bumping as well.
I'm just passing on my experience with this, and really I'd think you'd be interested rather than defensive about it.

Mike

Couple points.

1. You have said repeatedly you never load above either 53 or 55 KPSI. Now we are suddenly above that. RIGHT.

Pretty sure I've implied that MY MAX is typically ~55-57Kpsi.
You've countered before that these are unrealistically low pressures for performance.
Is that half the story?

I just pulled this info from my logs for current guns, and while I could certainly push each cartridge harder, my loads are inline with the pack, and as accurate as I've found for these barrels.
I'm content with them.

6.5WSSM imp, 139LAP, 28"barrel, 3050fps, ~57Kpsi QL, 47.4-IMR4350
Fitted cartridge, shoulder bumps only on 30+ reloads, Zero body sizing so far, no trimming, no annealing.

2. Read just once the DISCLAIMER on the front of QL about them not being entirely accurate due to simply changing components can significantly alter the results. With REAL pressure testing showing primers alone can raise or lower real pressure 7000 PSI, (the QL techs will clearly tell you they only test "normal" loads and try to extrapolate reality from there for others) you need to have your head examined if you think QL pressure curves are a reality. Post some Oehler 46 strain gauge results and then you might be on to something. There are too many variables in QL that can be manipulated to alter the pressure curves. Might as well throw the chicken bones in the air and read them when they land for PSI results.

3. You might be using Wilson NS dies for the neck BUT you sure the hell are sizing the body with a custom Redding body die honed JLC body die as you have stated repeatedly when called on it. As of 8 months ago Jim Carstenson told me that "he has never honed a die with less than .001 body squeeze." I called him to see if he made "bump only" (ie zero body squeeze) conversions and he said no. So maybe you do not know what you have in reality. I tend to believe Jim as he hones the dies.

4. You are simply using a two step process that ends up exactly like a Redding FL bushing die (just honed for your chamber) and nothing else, so get over it. However, if you want to keep deluding yourself fine, just quit preaching that crap that NS only is the way to go, to everyone else as gospel.

Like they say, "Even a blind hog finds an acorn now and then" You got lucky and found one combination that works and think that every situation is like that.

Last edited:
You tapping into the Jack Daniels again BH?

No but pretty **** sure Mikecr is again. Just tired of the BS :D

Here are the 5 Commandments as Mikecr posted previously.

He clearly sizes the body, albeit minimally which is exactly what you want. He sizes the neck just like any FL bushing die does.

As far as I know there is only one custom die that FL sizes the neck, and that is Neil Jones as he uses shoulder bump bushing inserts and is the only one to do that. So only difference is the degree you set the sizing bushing to go down with either method, as nothing is different.

Somehow "minimal sizing equates to NS only" and that is total BS.

So I am not clear on how "carefully designed small cases with sharp shoulders loaded below well below SAAMI" (his posts not mine) equate to "blanket" reality in the large case LR world.

Attachments

• 5 commandments.jpg
    5 commandments.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 64
You should calm down BH, as you're only damaging your views.
I have observed with several cartridges that 57Kpsi seems the point where FL sizing is required. I've run several to that point(as measured at webline) and noted that QL showed this pressure. You're right that QL is not always right, it's not a direct measure. So I'll concede that QL pressure may or may not be accurate with my 26wssm load. But the velocity does match for that measured H20 capacity, seating, and powder. I'm pushing 139laps at 3020fps with 260AI capacity, so it's not a light load for sure. I have taken it to 3200+, and there is a node up there, but it isn't worth it. This would required FL sizing.

Listen carefully; None of my JLC dies size bodies. They are bump only dies.
You may not understand how I did this, that seems clear. But if you're interested, I can explain it.
I already told you that I do not have to size necks with my 26wssm, as they are fitted.
Again: shoulder bump only

I never stated that everyone could do this, with any cartridge. My contention is that it's choices leading to FL sizing needs, as not every plan needs it(we can choose otherwise).
I don't understand why this is so difficult to understand.
You seem to be implying that everything MUST be FL sized, and I'm saying this is not true at all.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.