Pulled trigger on 7mm WSM barrel (what bullets)

elktaker

After messing with 145 gr LRx's in my factory barrel with multiple loads and no luck. All groups over 3 inches at 200 yd for the best groups. I decide to pull the trigger on a barrel.

I went with Pac-nor since they said the wait time was 8 to 10 weeks and I will at least be Spike bull hunting this fall so I need time to get it shooting.

So here what is is:

7mm WSM, Chrome Moly, medium sporter, 28" and I went with 3 groove - 1:8 twist.

I also decide to pay the $130 and get it threaded with a Pac-nor brake.

Now I need to figure out which bullets to shot. After long consideration, I am willing to load one round at a time. I am thinking of getting Berger 180 VLD but the 168 are still pretty close on paper.

Any other options? Bullet needs to be able to take elk/deer near and far. I was using Berger 168 VLD before, but I am worried about shoulder shots within 300 yd.

I would like to shot paper at 1000 yd with the same load.

I've killed lots of critters with the 168 vld out of my wsm. If you can run the 168 @ 3150 it beats the 180 at 2950 in both wind and energy out to a 1,000. Beyond that, the 180 starts to slightly get the edge. I shot the 180's for a while and was happy with them, but the 168 is a great bullet!

I've killed lots of critters with the 168 vld out of my wsm. If you can run the 168 @ 3150 it beats the 180 at 2950 in both wind and energy out to a 1,000. Beyond that, the 180 starts to slightly get the edge. I shot the 180's for a while and was happy with them, but the 168 is a great bullet!

I killed 3 elk with 168 from 20 to 427 yards. Windage/elevation are probably close enough.

Shifting towards the 180 since they should stabilize better in the 1:8 twist and the energy on target seems quite a bit higher throughout the range with a slight lose in wind/elevation out to 700 yards.

Is either more stable out to 1000 yards?

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.