Ok, pulled the trigger on a Cooper

Pstores

Well, just ordered my Excaliber with a 26" barrel, brake, long action in a 6.5-284. After thinking long and hard if I really needed a full custom for what I was doing I think the Cooper will do just fine. And if I start to more than just toy around on the range at longer distances then I'll build a full custom. But for shooting out to 600 I think this should be suffice. Now I just have to wait patiently. And see if it is as good or better then my .260 semi custom 700 with a Krieger barrel. Thanks to everyone that gave input on the 6.5-284 in all the different threads I had sifted through.

Well if it shoots as good as my 280ai then it will be a tack driver mine shoots as good as any custom I've had I just wish they would lighten them up or make a mountain rifle version.

A few months of reading and finally did it. The advantage to the .270wsm was ammo can be bought anywhere in case of forgotten ammo. But I really like my .260's. So this I think will be a slight step up. Quiet abit less then a quality full custom. So I split the difference.

Good choice! Dont worry about 600, if it shoots like the two my buddy and I own it should easily suffice at 1000 yards.... My customs have been collecting dust since I got my 6.5-284 Cooper.

Thanks Guys...... Now the painful search for a scope. Zeiss conquest HD5 3.5-15x50 RZ800 reticle and the NXS Nightforce moar recticle come to mind? NXS adds wieght. Others I should look at. May take a trip to Cabelas to check them out today.

What was the quoted lead time from Cooper? Thinking about going this route as well.

I like the 5x20 Huskemaw on my Cooper. The size and weight is well matched to the Cooper, and the optical and mechanical quality proven with the two I have owned for several years and subjected to hard use. It might be worth a look.

Lead time was 6-8 months. But the dealer said that he had ordered one first week of November and it arrived Friday. So luck of the draw I suppose when they build it. Also the more higher end the longer wait. Mine was pretty much standard with a 26" barrel and a brake added. Krieger Barrel could take 8-10 months. Last year mine took 9 months for my .260 and 6 months for the McMillan stock. So not really much longer wait for componants for a full custom.

First stop has a few different models in the 6.5-284. And scheels may have one. I know they an Excaliber in 7mm. And a few pheonix as well as others.

Just put a Nightforce SHV on my Cooper 280Ai. Went with the 4-16x56 MOAR. Have only shot it once since mounting the scope. But the gun feels very balanced and shoulders really nice. Shot out to 700 yds just using the reticle. Works perfect couldn't be happier.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts