Public land shooting near denver

Gray R

Hey guys as the title suggests I'm new t town and lookin for a place to stretch out. I can go to a gun club if I need to but I'd rather go way out. Anyone in the area know of any good spots?

Pretty tough to find... that's the problem living so close to such a huge city like Denver. I used to go up to the Buffalo Creek burn area (near Deckers) and shoot as far as I wanted, but the forest service shut that whole area down. no more shooting allowed. I have not yet put in the effort to find a new place as I've been too busy the past couple of years starting a family (have a newborn and a 2 year old).

It's been on my mind to find somewhere new to go, and I think somewhere in that general area might still work, but will need to talk to the forest service to make sure where I go is legal. The Colorado trail runs right through there, and at some point I would guess you could into the right locations to legally shoot and have plenty of space to do it.

Feel free to PM me and I'll be happy to share any spots I find, or maybe we can even work together to find something.

As Timber stated, most of the good shooting is in National Forest in the mountains. There is one club out east that has a 1,000 yard range I think, but it if fairly pricey and for the life of me I can't remember the name. Best bet is to head west for 45 min to an hour and you can find somewhere good.

Sounds right...either way, by the time you drive all the way out there, you could be in the high country. Little bit prettier scenary there :D

Haha yeah I agree. I'm
In lakewood so I'm closer to the big woods. Next question for a rookie out here is where do I find maps of the public land ?

REI is he best place to find the National Geographic topos that show private and public land, road access, etc.

good point I've only been up in that area once just to drive around a little bit and there didnt seem to be hardly any people out walking around so you'd be less likely to run into the dangers associated with that in the mountains you cant hardly swing a dead cat on public lands and not hit a hiker just watch out for rattlesnakes!!

Haha thanks for the heads up. Last thing I wanna do is drive two hours to get lit up. What kind of rattlesnakes is it out here ?

Ok we've got eastern diamond backs at home but they're easy to avoid. We'll hope the same is true out here

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.