managing land/food plots

JP_Gunner

Wife and I bought a little land to build a house and have room for a few cows. land has recently be used for row crop and hay production. the fields right around the house will be put in to pasture for cattle, but there are two other fields around on the property, one is 2.5 acre and the other is 2.3 acres. i plan to put a dove field (probably millet) in on one and food plot for deer on the other.

My question is input for food plots that also have a yield. Millet should also provide hay after dove season. other/better contenders? for the deer i was thinking a mix of winter peas and turnips but would like options that would also give me something to harvest ideally to feed cattle during the winter.

Located in Central NC

You looking to plant something NOW?
Peas, turnips, beets would be good for your area.
Have you done a spoil test?
I have seen a lot of food plots fail due to not having the soil testes and then cultivated with proper fert and minerals.

We only did plots for deer and turkey. Your Millet will have to wait until the spring.
Let me look up our planting records from previous years. Have not planted a plot since my spinal cord surgery. We had some stuff that lasted all winter and then into the spring for Turkeys.
We live in East GA so similar climate.

if it has been in rotation your soil should not be off too bad. Getting a soil sample is first step. Are these plots fenced where they can be easily grazed to turn cows into. Clovers are always good. Deer plots I typically plant several things if possible. If works god as time of year and weather shifts

Thanks

Buck

i'm not trying to plant right away but get my plan together for next year. i figure spring i'd plant millet and clover/alfalfa then come back and plant winter wheat in the dove field, turnips and winter peas in the deer plot for fall. i've got too much on my plate this year and no equipment out there yet.

absolutely plan to take soil samples and apply as needed

Recent Posts