How to manage moisture in a gun safe?

Alfred Crouch

I would appreciate discussions on efficient and effective ways to manage moisture in a gun safe. What are the pros and cons of using electric heating rods, gun socks, absorbent materials or a combination of these? What experiences have you or your friends have with these as well as other methods of moisture control. I am considering cost, time involved and the problem of forgetting to follow up on periodic management of any system used. How much of a problem is moisture in your safe? Any input would be appreciated.

Last edited:
I have two large safes and run electric heater rods in both. I also put my nicer stuff in gun socks, but less for moisture control and more to avoid dings. My safes are both in the basement, which is fairly damp. I have never had issues with rust, etc but I generally clean and oil everything before it gets put away.

I run boxes of silica in the safes. I also put most guns in gun socks and run a Soleus 45 pint dehumidifier in the room( I empty it every few days). My humidity is around 30% in the room. Seems too work really well. I have no complaints.

I live in an extremely humid area and have no problems with just running an electric dehumidifying rod in my safe.

I have my gun/reloading room in the upstairs of my shop. It has no windows and can hot up there in the summer. When I moved the guns out of the house and into the top of the shop last year, I put a window air conditioner in( one of the gun room walls goes into the inclosed shop) and I put safe rods in the my cheap Homak gun safes. Worked really well. But noticed the humidity this summer to be higher than last year. So I put a dehumidifier in the room. With air conditioner and dehumidifier the room is about 73 degrees and 45 o/o in humidity. I also have hygrometers in both of the safes.

Jason

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.