Public Land Hunting Behavior

I wonder what would happen to you if you stuck the guy carrying the AK with an arrow?
The guy with the MAC 10 would have murdered me and my wife, And left our bodies to rot in the desert.
The cartels and their minions are the most ruthless savages I've seen or heard of.
And If I did pull off a "Rambo moment" and killed the bad guys with a bow, the commie politicians in SOCAL would have put me in prison for life. The illegals in SOCAL have more rights then the Veterans do......

The guy with the MAC 10 would have murdered me and my wife, And left our bodies to rot in the desert.
The cartels and their minions are the most ruthless savages I've seen or heard of.
And If I did pull off a "Rambo moment" and killed the bad guys with a bow, the commie politicians in SOCAL would have put me in prison for life. The illegals in SOCAL have more rights then the Veterans do......
Yes my friend exactly! I wasn't suggesting that you "should have" stuck him...my point was that even if you shot an armed foreign national on US soil, YOU would have been the one going to jail

Wait till Biden is in charge...it's going to get much worse

Sorry everyone for the detour to politics;)

Well I feel your pain. I hunt exclusively public land. But fortunately for me I usually don't see many hunters where I hunt. This year I pulling into an area where I have been hunting for many years and there was a vehicle there and a guy getting his gear on. First thing he said to me is "Are you the guy that has the tree stand right below where I put my blind"! WTH. I said I have been hunting this same spot for at least 10 years and you saw my tree stand yet you still put your blind there 50 yards away. You're a real piece of work.
Ended up he pulled his blind after that morning's hunt and I never saw him again.
The problem today is that society and people's attitudes have changed. Back when I started hunting in the early 60s, if we saw someone hunting in an area where we were going to hunt we would just move on to another spot - no matter how good that spot was. First come first served sort of thing. Today a lot of people think "its public land and I'll hunt where I want". Absolutely no respect for others.
My friend and I had stands, tree ladders and trail cameras stolen. We would have never even thought of doing anything like that.

Every year gets more crowded and new spots get harder and harder to find. Getting so I just use them as bait and hunt aroundem.

I'm fairly new to hunting but in the probably 7 years I've hunted (all public lands) I've had nothing but wonderful experiences with other hunters. Most of the time I don't see them or if we do we park in different areas or hike different ridges.

yes the jerks exist but for the most part hunters are fairly cool to other hunters. Forget where I heard it but I think it comes down to the idea that there are two kinds of hunters "your hunting buddies and assholes".

Opening day. Big storm over head. Wife and I up three hours before shooting light. One hour prep., One hour travel, one hour to sit and wait. In our spot one hour before sunrise, 30 mins. before shooting light. 14 degrees out, slight breeze, medium wet snow coming down. Sitting in a SMALL bowl canyon 270 degree view. Same location has produced several times. Nice place for a short morning hunt, before we get froze out.
And then it happened.
Couple hunters park next to our truck, walk in our snow tracks on the way in. Spot us sitting in our spot. We have a long stare down. Then they climb a short bit above us, set up just above us, and start glassing. Literally within 50 yds of our set up.
Ok first off, first come first serve. We were in there an HOUR before sunrise. You showed up after sunrise and wandered in like I was in your back yard. You saw us. You didn't move on.
I don't want to hear any of this "public land that's how it goes" BS. You show up after someone else, you find another spot. You don't sit cheek to cheek, and think it's OK.
Too bad censorship exists or I would tell you what I really think.
If I had not been with my wife I would have started singing Christmas Carols just to scare everything out of there.
Lessons in respect can be painful. Best you practice respect voluntarily.
My daddy told me that if you have to write your ethics down you've already lost the war.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.