Public Land Hunting Behavior

I guess it's just the way she goes. Some people are just ignorant or don't have any respect. Been through the same thing many a time duck hunting.

3 of my buddies and me were hunting idaho otc elk this year public land. Opening morning we spot a small 6. I get set up on the bull at 750yrds and stick him twice. We took our time getting over to the bull just incase. 45 min to the time of contact and there stands a old man and his grandkid sawing the head off. ***. The old man literally tells me he doesn't care who shot the bull and it was his. Instead of getting western we decided he was a total duech and let him take the bull. We were all amazed that there is people that actually tag animals other people kill. Cool thing is the following weekend a buddy hit me with a pin on onX. Told me there was some long range opportunities. Fellow member and myself went up and I shot a bull at 1282 so... I guess it worked out. But that old man can kiss my ***. View attachment 225125View attachment 225126 The 5x is the 1282 bull

Your a better man then me...

3 of my buddies and me were hunting idaho otc elk this year public land. Opening morning we spot a small 6. I get set up on the bull at 750yrds and stick him twice. We took our time getting over to the bull just incase. 45 min to the time of contact and there stands a old man and his grandkid sawing the head off. ***. The old man literally tells me he doesn't care who shot the bull and it was his. Instead of getting western we decided he was a total duech and let him take the bull. We were all amazed that there is people that actually tag animals other people kill. Cool thing is the following weekend a buddy hit me with a pin on onX. Told me there was some long range opportunities. Fellow member and myself went up and I shot a bull at 1282 so... I guess it worked out. But that old man can kiss my ***. View attachment 225125View attachment 225126 The 5x is the 1282 bull
Wow that must have been surreal , you were a very good man to hold your temper. I have had this happen to me 3 times over the years and walked away because no deer is worth violence but an elk shows a lot of character on your part. I'm glad it worked out for you. You right though who would want someone's animal ?

I nearly had a shootout with three guys during a deer hunting trip in Utah. It was on public land and they thought they were going to take my deer away from me.
It was on Mapleton Mountain. When they realized I was going to shoot it out to settle it, they also realized the loudmouth that started it would get shot first.
My tag was already on the buck and they clearly knew it was my deer.
The year was 1965, just before I joined the Service.

I'm glad it wasn't me there and there was a young child present or it might've been a whole different outcome

I'm glad it wasn't me there and there was a young child present or it might've been a whole different outcome

Those were my thoughts, too.
One thing I WOULD have done if possible, I would have walked up to where he had set aside HIS rifle and told him we had a fair trade.
Let him try to get Froggy then.
Just sayin'.

There's a reason people are acting this way!! THE REAL SPORTSMAN AREN'T HOLDING THEM ACCOUNTABLE !!! And no.. that's not the way she goes!!!! Stand up for yourself and your rights in my state!! It doesn't have to go to blows!! keep a level head, Document it and contact the F&G they will handle it I promise you, that's why we have them!!
We have the law for a reason!!! That was your bull and You as a Grown *** man Should have stood up for yourself and your elk!!! The law is on your side in this situation and you had witnesses and i think he'd a got a real good idea on how to act when they took his hunting rights for a few years for theft, waste of game and harassment of another hunter after you pressed charges on him!!

Last edited:
There's a reason people are acting this way!! THE REAL SPORTSMAN AREN'T HOLDING THEM ACCOUNTABLE !!! And no.. that's not the way she goes!!!! Stand up for yourself and your rights!! It doesn't have to go to blows!! Document it and contact the F&G they will handle it I promise you, that's why we have them!!
We have the law for a reason!!! That was your bull and You as a Grown *** man Should have stood up for yourself and and your elk!!! The law is on your side in this situation and you had witnesses and i think he'd a got a real good idea on how to act when they took his hunting rights for a few years for theft, waste of game and harassment of another hunter after you pressed charges on him!!
Also if the game warden would've pulled the kid off to the side and grilled him for a second Iwould bet the truth would come out

I just got home from a 3rd season OTC elk hunt in Colorado. My dad and I went to a new to us area a couple days before opening day. On the second evening we got lucky and I spotted a group of elk on a ridge about 2.5 miles from our camp as the crow flies. So we watched them the next day and sat at camp opening morning to make sure they were still there. Since it was a new area and we had to go around a section of private land to get to the ridge we decided to go in mid day for an evening sit. We were in place and watching the elk in the trees feeding about 2 pm. We sat and watched looking for some good bulls and thinking around 4 they will filter out to feed and we'll get our chance. Right at 4 the rancher/guide shows up with a client right above us, sees us below and then almost runs into the trees all the way to point where we can't see him anymore and comes right back out leaving his client about 200 yards behind him on the hike back out.... ***! I Was really ****ed off on how he knew we were there and the elk were in the trees and proceeded to go spook them out the far side. If your going to guide on national forest you need to be prepared to see other hunters and treat them with respect. Just because you own the land around doesn't mean you have any more right to public land than anyone else. Im learning people inherently suck!

There's a reason people are acting this way!! THE REAL SPORTSMAN AREN'T HOLDING THEM ACCOUNTABLE !!! And no.. that's not the way she goes!!!! Stand up for yourself and your rights!! It doesn't have to go to blows!! Document it and contact the F&G they will handle it I promise you, that's why we have them!!
We have the law for a reason!!! That was your bull and You as a Grown *** man Should have stood up for yourself and and your elk!!! The law is on your side in this situation and you had witnesses and i think he'd a got a real good idea on how to act when they took his hunting rights for a few years for theft, waste of game and harassment of another hunter after you pressed charges on him!!
You have a lot more faith in what a law enforcement officer can and will do than I will ever have.

I have spent almost 30 years of enforcing law as well as game & fish law on an Army installation where I work. We have dealt with every kind of hunters and market poachers. There are all kinds of outdoorsmen and a small percentage of slobs that take everyone for granted. Some violators we put in prison.

Unfortunately, most violators like the ones that steal hunters' kills go unreported. It should also be considered the thief may be selling your animal.

One thing to remember in life. Once a situation escalates to bearing arms you better be ready to use them. I try ( as I'm getting older) to diffuse a situation and keep the kids in mind. I get it , in my 20's I prob would have approached the situation with anger and violence. Was it worth calling a game warden and wasting a day of my life arguing about a elk. Or getting to shoot another long range branch bull. I thought for the first time this happened in my life I chose the right option. My Dad and Grandpa which pounded gun safety into my soul we're proud of the decision. Hope this doesn't happen to anyone but..... Be smart

You have a lot more faith in what a law enforcement officer can and will do than I will ever have.
They take waste and theft seriously and I promise you after speaking with several about similar situations they're more than happy to help you A. get your game animal back and B. put charges forth to the guilty party!!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.