Project rifle done!

Bob S.

Had fiftydriver do a little project for me and its been done for about two weeks. Between fighting wildfires and finishing the stock and wrestling with pic posting I decided to at least give you guys the skinny and try the pic thing again later...maybe much later /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif
Rifle started as a ruger youth ultralight mod 77 mkII in 243. It wouldn't print 5" groups consistantly. Sent it to Kirby begging for help.

Here is the final result and some of the probs along the way.

Caliber - 243Ackley improved. Went this route because was going to use factory barrel and kirby had the reamer in stock.

Stock - Richards microfit laminated in royal camo, wildcat thumbhole profile. Took some serious work to inlet the action, Kirby did an awesome job and pillar bedded as well. Exterior was extremely rough but some hardcore sanding and she is as smooth as silk and gorgeous.Was dissapointed with the as shipped product but pleased with the final probably my fault being a first time custom stock order.

Barrel - 30" Pac-Nor supermatch fluted and blued 1 in 10 twist. Was trying to use the factory barrel since it only had a few hundred rounds through it but the bore was off center and kirby recommended a new barrel. I swear if you look at the old one it looks off center to the naked eye.(my wife thought so too)

Trigger - Stock ruger tuned to 3#. Crisp and no creep wanted to go lighter but didn't pass the impact test. I'm ok with the way it works for now but may go with an aftermarket later.

Action - Stock ruger mod 77 mkII trued and accurized. Not sure how much work was required to true it up but the final result is impressive so far.

Scope - IOR 2.5x10x42 Illum mp8 reticle on leupold 30mm ruger bases/rings. Scope is awesome and I love it! best ive ever owned so far. Rings are a little pricey even though the ruger design is a good idea. Would like to be able to use some of my weaver rings and bases but I knew this going in and am ok with it. I also have a ruger in 22-250.

Range results - Kirby did a range test and had 3 shot gps < 1/2" at 100 yds using formed brass and a load he threw together. I went to the range with a bunch of garbage loads(med load of 4831 and various small lots of bullets in differing weights)for fire forming and was getting gps in the 1/2 - 3/4 inch range @ 100 yds with little or no effort as I was there for barrel break in and fire forming. So far 50 rounds formed and break in done so will go form 50 more tomorrow(range time cut short due to fire on ranch flared up and had to go fight it again). I will try a little harder to get tighter groups with the next 50 forming rounds then the real tweaking comes to play and will try to get her up to snuff for you guys.

Pics - Really frustrated with this. My wife took some good pics with her digital camera but my dialup takes so long to upload/download that I tried for 4/5 days to do and gave up. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gifI will try again from her work unless someone can help me out here and give me some pointers or something.

Gunsmithing - I can't say enough good stuff about the job kirby did for me. He was patient, helpful, explained the whole process and had to work a little (lot) harder to get the action inletted than he was expecting and quoted the price on. He was generous in the barrel transaction and did an outstanding job on the workmanship as far as I can tell.I recommend him and will use him again on my next project with some new found knowledge(lessons learned) if he will have my business.

Sorry this is so long but a pic would have been worth a thousand words. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
I'll keep you all posted on the development process.

Cowboy,
Don't wanna hihack this thread but the pic thing gets under ones skin........
Just went through the pic posting thing myself. Got it licked.

Use http://www.huntingpictures.net/

Post your pic there. Then click on it. Its URL (Address) will appear in the window or whatever its geek name is above the pic.

CLick on this address, it will highlight. Do a copy then paste it in the window that opens when you click on <font color="brown">Image</font> in your post.

If you have some software that will shrink the size of the pic, like a "save for web" feature, that will help w/the dial up speed.

There is a fountain of knowledge on this forum. The smiths know their stuff. Kirby has been a motivator on my behalf.

Your project sounds like a success.

Sounds like you got a shooter. I am hoping that isn't the problem with my little Ruger Compact in .308, it just don't want to shoot anything I load for it. The worst part is, if you could call it that, the most accurate ammo I have found it to shoot is plain wrapper factory Remington 150 CL's. I get them for $10 a box. It really don't matter to awefully much however as I have yet to shoot at anything I didn't hit. LOL For the most part I only use it for close work around 100 yds or less. However it has reached out and hit some decent ranges and dropped some decent sized hogs in the process.

I am looking forward to getting something special from Kirby one of these days. Then I won't have to worry about how far those hogs are, just which bar on the reticle to hold on them.

Lets try this pic thing again.
Rifle weighs 10#+or- based on bathroom scales
[image]http://www.huntingpictures.net/photo/002011[/image]
[image]http://www.huntingpictures.net/photo/002012[/image]

Thanks for the help guys if this worked I will post some others.

you put the wrong url in.Right click on the pics and click properties and it will show the full correct URL.
Nice unit and a great round /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

335gun-med.JPG

335gun1-med.JPG

Thanks Mach V - I guess my sig line fits the bill here. I'm pretty much computer stupid! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif
I noticed the image didn't show up when I previewed the post but thought that was just a preview thing. Does the pic actually appear when previewing? provided I have it in right of course.

Cowboy,

Turned out extremely nice. Well worth the bit of trouble we had to go through to get to this final product.

Very nice work on the stock. Let me know how she runs for you with formed brass and top pressure loads.

Its always nice to have an AI chambered round play with 1/2 moa forming brass. Always a good prediction of fine performance to come!!

Again, great work on the rifle, looks great!!

Kirby Allen(50)

That is a beautiful rifle and I have no doubt that it will be a shooter!!

Kirby sure does build a fine rifle!! And on top of that he is a helluva nice guy to deal with.

Cowboy thats a nice looking stick!
I was interested in one of those stocks but after talking to a couple of folks including Kirby and nobody being sure how much work would be involved in finishing it I opted out.
It looks very nice on you rig!!

Thanks guys! It was fun and a learning experience. The stock was a little rougher than I figured it would be, but it sanded down nice and turned out to my liking. The range near my house was closed today. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif I will try to get there wed afternoon to fire form the rest of my brass. I would just go out in the woods but it is so dry a spark from a bullet/rock interface could start a fire and I don't want that to happen. I'll keep you all informed on the load development process.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.